messaging echo

Old 12-10-03, 01:40 PM
phatman
Visiting Guest
messaging echo

Hello and thank you for the assistance

I am finding when I message people in this forum, when I e-mail through Outlook Express as well as when I am on the MSN Groups site, I send 2 messages instead of just 1. I expect there will be two of these posts when I submit this thread...

What's going on?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-03, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
lots of questions for you...

phatman,

When you say message people in this forum, do you mean post in the forums? Here it may be that you're hitting the submit button twice because the first time it doesn't seem to send it. Sometimes this happens.

However, you say it happens with your email program as well? It send the recipient 2 identical emails instead of one? Also, do you use any email enhancement programs such as incrediMail?

Also, when you post on MSN groups, do you respond through your email program to the posts or do you post directly on MSN's site for the group(s)?

Okay, now more questions (sorry) what is your operating system and your browser? examples would be Win98, Win98se, WinME, etc and for browsers might be Internet Explorer (version?), Mozilla, etc.

Old 12-10-03, 05:46 PM
phatman
Visiting Guest
There is an example in the plumbing forum(phatman is the nickname). You will notice 3:09pm for the first posting and 3:25pm for the second posting. But they are identical posts, sent at the same time. I mean logistically, I typed in the message, then sent it. That's it.

On MSN Groups, someone sends me a message from the messaging option in the forum, and I receive 2 copies of it. If I reply to one of the copies, it sends me 2 copies of my message back to me?!?

I run on Win98 with IE 6.0 I think(I would get constant update reminders if I had an older copy). I cannot seem to find the description of the IE to tell me which version it is.
Things that have changed lately on my LAN is that I have introduced a Linksys router and hooked up my roommate's computer as well as my own to the cable.

Old 12-10-03, 06:22 PM
tae
from Microsoft:
SYMPTOMS
When you start Outlook Express or try to send or receive messages, a message you sent previously may be sent again, and this message may be sent every time you start Outlook Express in the future. Also, you message may not be moved from the Outbox to the Sent Items folder.
CAUSE
This issue can occur if your computer has a low amount of free disk space. After you send a message, Outlook Express copies the message to the Sent Items folder. If there is not enough free disk space for this copy process to work correctly, Outlook Express leaves the message in the Outbox and it is sent again the next time you send or receive e-mail.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, increase the amount of free disk space available on your computer. To do so, empty the Recycle Bin, and uninstall any unneeded programs. For information about how to remove unneeded programs from your computer, click Start, and then click Help. Type removing programs in the Type the first few letters of the word you're looking for box, click programs from your computer in the Click the index entry you want, and then click display box, and then click Display.

To work around this issue if you know the message has been sent and you do not want to keep a copy of the message in your Sent Items folder, you can delete the message from the Outbox.

The disk space used by Outlook Express can also be reduced by removing message bodies and headers, removing message bodies only, or compacting wasted space.

Also, to tell which version of I.E. you have, just open it up,click on help(at the top right) then click on "about internet explorer"

Old 12-10-03, 06:57 PM
I cannot seem to find the description of the IE to tell me which version it is.
In the title bar click on Help, About. The version number will be shown.

Old 12-10-03, 07:04 PM
What would cause him to double post here? Could it be the router that he mentioned. Maybe the computers think it needs to post from each system?

Kay

Old 12-10-03, 08:35 PM
What would cause him to double post here? Could it be the router that he mentioned. Maybe the computers think it needs to post from each system?
Most logical source of the problem is what tae mentioned: that there is some problem with the mail client.

The mere presence of the other computer on the network would have nothing to do with it since it would not be in the route. I have 5 computers on the network here and don't have that problem.

The router is simply a traffic cop for outbound packets.

Old 12-10-03, 08:40 PM
I'm sincerely trying to understand. How would outlook make a double posting here at DIY? I do understand with emails, and posting to message boards via emails but not here. I've done it by hitting the submit button twice by accident before the first time took.

Kay (not meaning to be a problem child )

Old 12-10-03, 09:02 PM
It may have something to do with IE being integrated with OE. Windows programs are quite intertwined.

Old 12-10-03, 09:07 PM
Oh, okay I understand now. I had forgotten just how integrated windows was.

Thanks for being patient with my questions.

Kay