For you Linux Network Nuts

Old 12-10-03, 09:38 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For you Linux Network Nuts

the Linux 2.4 kernel has a serious vulnerability. It can give end users on a Linux machine unlimited access priviledges. Patches have been issued for Red Hat, Debian, Mandrake, and some others.
http://www.wired.com/news/linux/0%2C...w=wn_tophead_7

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-03, 07:21 AM
Thanks for posting that tae! I check for updates at least once a week since they usually have something for each distro.

I did receive a notice (email) from both Mdk and Redhat for this.

I think it would be wise for all Linux users to subscribe to the notifications for their flavor of Linux.

Thanks again for heads up!

Kay

Ps. I'm not on a personal network here, but am 'networked' through the internet by broadband. I understand this doesn't effect me - but updates are important for any system.

K.

Old 12-11-03, 01:05 PM
Some people have been led to believe that Linux is immune to viruses and security issues. That is hardly the case. While it is true that the number of Windows viruses and security holes far exceeds the numbers for other platforms, Linux boxes are not 100 percent secure and they are not immune from viruses.

People with Linux boxes need to be just as diligent about obtaining updates and about observing responsible email handling techniques.