CD Player No Disc Error ?

Old 12-12-03, 07:37 AM
bravo37
Visiting Guest
CD Player No Disc Error ?

Hello,

I have a JVC model # CA-HXZ3 Stereo Reciever/CD changer..table top unit. Its the one advertised as "tower of power" It has a 3-cd changer...not a caroseul sp? but they are in a stacked configuration. Everything works fine except when you put a cd in it displays NO Disc. Can anyone tell me what are the possible culprits...causing this problem. Its a really nice looking and sounding unit...i hate to "junk " it.
Thanks,

Bravo

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-03, 10:34 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Bravo

I found your question posted into the Tv, Stereo's, Vcr & Dvd forum topic. Although that topic is a topic which would be likely to get a reply to help you, it was passed over by those whom post in that topic.

Most like to obtain an answer in this computer topic, even though the unit is a table top unit. In this topic on computers, the moderators are very likely to have solutions to offer, since computers also have CD units in them.

Old 12-13-03, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are there cds in there? Do the cds play?

Old 12-13-03, 04:38 PM
bravo37
Visiting Guest
jvc cd

Hello...and thanks for the reply. Yes......there are cds in it. The trays open up just fine and then i put cd in. It hesitates a few secs then displays No disc. I've put a variety of cds in it...just to be sure. Even a brand new cd. I took the cover off and cleaned the laser eye with a cotton swab and alchohol . Still the same story .....it says no disc on the display. Thanks,

bravo

Old 12-13-03, 04:58 PM
tae
A place that you might want to look at:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/whol...html#CDFAQ_060

Old 12-13-03, 06:38 PM
Have you ever used other than the first tray?

If not, then chances are the unit is pointing to another tray. Do you have the option of specifying which tray to use?

Old 12-13-03, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm assuming you're not using CD-R's or CD-RW's??? Some players (mostly older ones) are not capable of reading those types of CD's (particularly CD-RW's.) If you are using writable media, try a music CD just to be sure.

If it still fails, it sounds like the Laser may have been jogged and needs to be realigned - you'll probably have to have this professionally done. Try an electronics store or possibly a computer repair shop. I'm not sure how difficult this is to do, but I wouldn't try it myself either - if the unit is a nice one, it could be worth the $$$ spent on it to get it working properly.

Good luck!

Old 12-14-03, 08:16 AM
bravo37
Visiting Guest
thanks

Thanks for the reply. The unit is only about 3mos old...and it says on the front that it plays cd-rs and mp3s.......but the discs i tried.....were all regular cd's. You may be right about taking it to the repair shop. It retailed for around $400 so it may be worth it again thanks for the help.,

Alan

Old 12-14-03, 08:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd say if you've tried everything else - different discs, cleaning the unit, cleaning the discs, news discs, etc. - then you really have no choice. With CD lasers, there's just not many user-serviceable parts - you sure don't want to have to replace the laser completely ($$$)

If the unit's not very old (as you said 3 mos.), it should be under warranty - I'd take it back to the retailer and see what they say - maybe they'll just swap it out for you.

Good luck!

Old 12-15-03, 10:12 PM
bravo37
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the replys.......unit is going in shop tomorrow. will let ya know how it turns out

Alan