What does graphics "burn-in" do?

Old 12-12-03, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What does graphics "burn-in" do?

It was a piece of cake (marble. don't take it for granite (granted)LOL).

Used the WD software to partition, but W2K converted it to NTFS like I wanted. Installed the additional mobo software, then the video card driver software. Every time I needed to restart, I'd have to reload the driver software as it would get lost. Finally I remembered it had to "burn in" for an hour or so. Had to do this under WIN98 last year, too.

Left it alone for almost two hours. Have rebooted several times since and it reboots just fine.

What is the burn-in actually doing?

I left the old drive as slave and put it on the end of the cable. When the system boots, I get the option to boot windows 2000 or windows. I haven't had a chance to try windows yet. I didn't think I could boot off the slave. Windows 98 shouldn't be on the new drive as it was brand new out of the box and I didn't copy or load windos 98 to it. All I told WD to do was format and partition, not do any copy.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-03, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the burn-in actually doing?
I have no idea. Have never done it.

I didn't think I could boot off the slave
Some operating systems have an option to boot more than one operating system, dual-booting, multi-booting. The bootloader presents the options and upon the choice loads the appropriate boot file.

It may be that the installation of W2000 noted the presence of W98 on the other disk and installed the choices in the bootloader by default. The option to dual-boot usually comes up when you install W2000 and XP and others when installing on a disk where the other operating system is already present.

The other drive is not booting, as such, the bootloader directs the execution of the boot sector for the alternative OS.

Hope this helps.