opening a file

Old 12-13-03, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
opening a file

being a relative 'newbie' to computers,occasionly i get a attchment from friends or a web site that if i click on it,a window opens and asks if i want to save,save and put in hard drive and such. i don't want to save any of the stuff to my harddrive,but
when i open file a little envelope starts flying from one source
to another. my question is : if i open one these files and read
it,can i just click somehow to get out of it and not worry that its stored somewhere on my computer?
thanks,
daswede

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-03, 10:44 AM
When you open an attachment without saving it to the harddrive, you forefeit the opportunity for your anti-virus program to scan the file on disk and protect you.

Usually, these files are all saved to the same directory on your computer by default. You can go clean them up later. Failure to be cautious with these chances to pick up a virus may leave you with a blank hard drive later on so that disk space won't be a problem.

If you open the file on the fly, when you close it and your browser, it will be gone.

We see one a week at work. No anti-virus protection, computer won't work right. We check it and the hard drive is completely blank.

Windows is particularly fraught with risks from opening files on the fly. That is a prime way that viruses, trojan horses, and logic bombs are spread.

Wise and knowledgeable dealings with e-mail, downloadable files, and questionable web sites are important in protecting yourself from these dangers on the internet. The constant use of current anti-virus programs is vitally important to protecting Windows users.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-13-03, 01:53 PM
whew!!! thanks Chris......had uneasy feeling about the 'flying'envelpoes from the start.
i'm glad i got out of the window as soon as i saw one.

daswede