RAM help

Old 12-13-03, 08:38 PM
69fbird
Visiting Guest
RAM help

I have a gateway computer with Pent III 450, Win98 that came with 64 MB of ram. I mostly use the computer for internet(dsl) and emails, sometimes excel and word. I also run freeRAM XP 1.4.
The problem started a couple months ago, I would get messages
from freeRam all the time saying that my ram level dropped below 10% and the display would read 0 ram and the computer would crash alot. So I guess, it was time to upgrade my RAM. I bought a 128 MB, so now I have 192 MB. It was installed and the computer
recognized the upgrade. After it was up and running, the ram display (151MB) starting getting lower and lower, ended up at 30MB. Opened up three programs and it dropped down to 0 again.

Does this mean that I need more RAM or do I have another problem?

Also, which programs use the most RAM, so I can check If I use these programs?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-03, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows likes lots of RAM. Applications such as Word and Excel do better with 256 MB or more RAM, but there is nothing wrong with 192.

You can run MSCONFIG and see what all is loading at start; and turn off those things you don't need. All you really need are: systray and your anti-virus programs. If this is a laptop, keep load management.

Also, running Ad-aware from Lavasoftusa can clean out the spyware and help keep your computer running smoothly. Presumably, you run a current anti-virus program. Run scandisk and defrag weekly.

Rebooting Win98 everyday will keep some of the memory cleaned up.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-14-03, 11:36 AM
69fbird
Visiting Guest
chfite,

Thanks for your help. I just finished editing my msconfig before I read your reply. I used a task list from answers that work.com, to eliminate the crap I dont need. It worked wonders, but still have 15 programs on the msconfig list, that said was ok. Here is a list of the programs, which ones would you delete?

I also ran Ad-ware.

Thanks.

EnsoniqMixer,starter.exe,"Registry - Machine Run"
"FreeRAM XP","""C:\UNZIPPED\FRAMXPRO\FREERAM XP PRO 1.40.EXE"" -win","Registry - User Run"
"FreeRAM XP","""C:\UNZIPPED\FRAMXPRO\FREERAM XP PRO 1.40.EXE"" -win","Registry - Def User Run"
GoBack.lnk,"C:\Program Files\Wild File\GoBack\GBMenu.exe /t","Startup - Current User"
"hp instant support.lnk","C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\hpis\bin\matcli.exe -boot","Startup - Current User"
hpoddt01.exe.lnk,"C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe ","Startup - Current User"
LoadPowerProfile,"Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme","Registry - Machine RunServices"
"Multi-function Keyboard",GWHotKey.exe,"Registry - Machine Run"
"Norton Auto-Protect","C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET","Registry - Machine Run"
"officejet 6100.lnk","C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hposol08.exe ","Startup - Current User"
ScanRegistry,"C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun","Registry - Machine Run"
SystemTray,SysTray.Exe,"Registry - Machine Run"
TrueVector,"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service","Registry - Machine RunServices"
"Zone Labs Client",C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe,"Registry - Machine Run"

Old 12-14-03, 08:27 PM
I would unselect:

EnsoniqMixer

If you have Roxio (Adaptec) restore keep the GoBack.lnk, otherwise unselect it.

Unselect the HP items.

If you download from a camera with a push of a button on a camera, keep hpoddt01.exe.lnk

If this is a laptop, keep LoadPowerProfile, otherwise unselect it.

Unselect "officejet 6100.lnk"

Hope this helps.

Old 12-14-03, 09:22 PM
69fbird
Visiting Guest
I will give that a try

Thanks again

Old 12-17-03, 08:01 AM
I never use any programs that claim to free RAM because I haven't found one that works. Windows (98 and Me mostly, much less 2000 and XP) are not very good memory managers, and like to gobble up all they can get. I would think however that your problem is not windows, but a program that you run. IE tends to do it sometimes where you will close it, but it will not release the RAM it used. Next time you run it (without restart) it will take more RAM, and enventually Windows will be squeezed out of RAM and crash. This is easy to see in 2000/XP, but not as easy in 98.