slow speed, safe mode

Old 12-16-03, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
slow speed, safe mode

Hello, Yesterday I had to go into safe mode to reset the resolution on the monitor screen because I hit the wrong setting by mistake and could not read my screen. Since then, my connection speed and download time has dropped way down and varies each time I go on line. I cannot believe that is a result of me going into safe mode, am I wrong?. I emptied my temp files, and dumped most of the cookies, but that has not helped. I called my online provider and of course they blamed my unit and every one else. My os is wn 98se with iexp 5. I have had hardly any connection problems up to this point. I even lowered my buffers from high to low to med, still no help. Any advise would be welcome. Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-03, 01:13 PM
las
Visiting Guest
I did that also once

I got Into the lowest resolution and I could not adjust anything
back to the way It was but It did get fixed thou...I think what happens Is the default settings kick In...a setting deemed by the manufacturer has a setting that was right for your computer?
but I cannot understand what you are saying that your system
Is slowing down?

Old 12-16-03, 01:36 PM
Generally, booting into Safe Mode then back to normal mode is a good thing. You are back in normal mode and the computer seems to run slow.

Have you run anti-virus and ad-aware? Did you run scandisk and defrag while in Safe Mode?

Do you have dial-up or broadband?

Are you on a network? If so, is it wireless?

What buffers have you changed and why did you do that?

Old 12-16-03, 03:31 PM
Thank you for your speedy response. Ans. to question 1. Did not run anti virus, 2. Do not have ad-ware. I have heard that that could cause problems and I have been reluctant to run it. I do not know where to get it. I have run scan disk and defrag recently, but not when I went to safe mode this time. 3. I am on dial up service. 4. I am not on a network. 5. Buffer settings: my computor, dial up networking, local server, properties, connect using, configure, connections, port settings. I had them set to default, when I called my online tech, he suggested that I move the buffer sliders to low. My computor itself seems to be ok. Its just when I am on line that is annoying. My bps speed is what has slowed down. I am now at 24,000 bps, I have been as low as 14,500 and as high as 28800 all with in 24 hours. My speed changes each time I go on line.

Old 12-16-03, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
First of all, change the buffers back to default.

Secondly, get a good Internet Tweaking program that can set the MTU and other settings in your registry for you.

Thirdly, <i>get</i> AdAware or SpyBot (or both) and run it (them) and then run a complete Scan/Defrag <i>from Safe Mode</i> - btw, you can find the downloads for both programs <a href="http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=403527#post404377">here</a>.

That should take care of it for you. If not, it's not your computer - it may be your phone lines or your ISP, but it's not your computer.

Good luck!

Old 12-16-03, 04:16 PM
tae
Your modem is dynamic, meaning that just because it says it connects at a given speed, it doesn't have to stay at that speed. It can fluctuate up or down at any time during the session. I don't think switching to safemode and back would cause you any problems. You would want your send /receive buffers as high as you can get and run stable(not get dropped offline) and your baud/port rate high also. Slow dial up is usually a problem in the phone line. Sometimes when it rains or snows, an old line will get static, which will slow down the speed.
You can download ad aware here:
http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10...ml?legacy=cnet
Following the other ideas also shouldn't hurt.

Old 12-17-03, 07:49 AM
It may be just a coincidence. Technically once the modem is connected to 28K, it will stay at 28K. Unlike a DSL/Cable modem a "regular" modem is stuck at that speed until a new handshake occurs (new connection). I would go back into safe mode, unistall the modem, then go back to "real" mode and reinstall it (make sure you have the drivers before you unistall).
Just out of curiosity, which ISP do you use? And does your internet browsing seem slower than usual? What happens if you dial a different access number?

Old 12-17-03, 06:54 PM
tae
From how stuff works:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/fr....net/index.htm

Reported initial connect speeds won't necessarily be dependable or even comparable from modem to modem or location to location. The reason is that V.34 modems can (and often do) speed shift up and down after the initial connection, and do so in a manner that is dependent on the particular connection as well as the particular equipment (including firmware versions) at each end. (See "What are "fall-back" and "fall-forward"?") Some modems connect at a more conservative speed and then quickly upshift as conditions allow; other modems connect at a more aggressive speed only to quickly downshift (or worse, lose performance due to excessive errors). Another problem is that software may report the receive speed for certain modems and the transmit speed for other modems, which can be substantially different. (See "What are split/asymmetric speeds?") Unfortunately, it is not possible to monitor the actual modem speed during the connection for most modems. Regardless, the only thing that really counts is net throughput, which can be measured by many communications applications

Old 12-17-03, 07:24 PM
Learning something new every day...