Are There Any Good P2P Programs?

Old 12-16-03, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are There Any Good P2P Programs?

I used to use Kazaa for P2P files, but lately it has gotten crazy with all the extra programs that come with it- to the point that my bandwidth (dial-up ouch) is cut by 65%. Can anyone recomend a good P2P that is free, and doesn't have to much extra stuff. I don't mind sharing 15 or even 20% of my bandwidth for the advertisments- they have to pay the bills, but Kazaa won't work unless you download and install 7 other programs. And no- you can't download them then delete them anymore(they fixed that bug)- if you do Kazaa eats itself. Thanks For Any Tips!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-03, 04:17 PM
try kazaalite

click here for the site

Last edited by prowallguy; 12-16-03 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-16-03, 04:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, try <a href="http://www.kazaalite.com">KazaaLite</a>. It doesn't have all the ad-ware and spy-ware that comes with Kazaa - but it does have some extra acceleration software that is actually nice.

Good luck!

Old 12-16-03, 08:09 PM
Here is a good method of distributing files.

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

Hope this helps.

Old 12-17-03, 01:21 AM
veritech
Visiting Guest
As far as I can tell Kazaalite was shut down recently by Kazaa. There are a couple of sites out there that claim to be Kazaa lite but I don't think that they actually are the same. you can read this article at wired about kazaa lite

http://www.wired.com/news/mp3/0,1285,51916,00.html

And here is the article from slashdot earlier this week outlining the shutdown

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...tid=153&tid=99

A couple of years ago I used morpheus briefly, but pretty quickly I realized that I'd prefer to ignore the media I eiter couldn't afford or didn't think was worth paying for.

- Angelo

Old 12-17-03, 07:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As far as I can tell Kazaalite was shut down recently by Kazaa.
That may be the case, but if you already have the software - and many people do - then the service still works. The KLite.com doesn't seem to be working, though.

Since it's P2P, the only way to completely shut it down is to get the software off of everyone's computer - you can imagine what a task that would be

Old 12-17-03, 08:26 AM
I use Overnet. It's pretty good and I can find a lot of foreign music files (which is what I normally look for). As far as I know it doesn't come with any spyware and such, only a small advertising window. It will however gobble up your whole connection. Even on a cable connection if I download more than 5 files at a time I can't really do anything else (that requires an internet connection) on the computer. It mainly has to do with the outbound speed (which will almost max out). Lowering the limit or making it 0 will severely lower your download speed.

Old 12-17-03, 12:08 PM
veritech
Visiting Guest
Right, of course how silly of me

Since it's P2P, the only way to completely shut it down is to get the software off of everyone's computer
Heh, Yep I heard that mentioned in fact but forgot to mention it. I think it's discussed in the slashdot thread. In the future if they change the network enough the old clients that connect to it won't work anymore that's about the only real way of making it not work.

Really the important thing to watch out for is the companies that pose as kazaa lite and charge a membership fee! You shouldn't have to pay to access the Kazaa network; kazaa themselves make money off of the advertising exposure, simply because the viewership (userbase) is so HUGE.

- Angelo

Old 12-20-03, 12:52 PM
I've had good luck with WinMX.