virtual memory

Old 12-16-03, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
virtual memory

hi all.

there is pop up message state my virtual memory was low. how do i increase the virtual memory?

Thanks
Tran

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-03, 04:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What OS? How much RAM? It's not a "Messenger" pop-up, is it? Make sure it's a valid Windows pop-up and not an advertisement of some sort (probably not if it's mentions Virtual Memory).

Old 12-16-03, 04:30 PM
I get the same message when windows is shutting down. I'm running XP Home edition. Sometimes when I'm shutting down or just rebooting I get a windows message, not a popup or advert. It says your pc is running low on virtual memory. We are increasing the ......

What causes this?

Old 12-16-03, 04:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Virtual Memory is a special file on the hard drive that is used for temporary storage (like RAM) when you run out of physical memory (or RAM.) Obviously, since the computer is much slower at reading and writing to the hard drive than it is at accessing RAM, you don't want to use much VM if you can help it - increasing RAM helps this.

However, if increasing RAM is not an option and you get these Low VM messages frequently, another option is to permanently fix the size of the VM so that Windows is not changing the file size constantly and slowing your computer even more.

To do this, double-click the System icon in Control Panel and go to the Advanced tab. There you will see the Performance heading - click the Settings button under it and go again to the Advanced tab - click the Change button there and set the VM to the same Min and Max sizes (preferrably about 500Mb or more - set it to the recommended setting shown at the bottom for both is a good rule of thumb.) Now OK out of everything and restart. (You will get a pop-up asking if you really don't want Windows to control your VM - click Yes.)

You should see significant performance increases.

These are instructions for WinXP - 95/98/SE/ME are somewhat different, but similar.

Good luck!