Unbelievable

Old 12-17-03, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unbelievable

Okay so I run my spybot software last night and go to bed while its running. This morning I delete the quarantined bots and think no more of it. Later I decide to check email, nothing new so I click on the browser (IE6.0) "cant find the page." Well Google had a couple problems so I tried one of my favorites ... nothing!

To make this short I cannot connect to any URLs via the browser. I can receive email, I can direct connect to Ultima Online and play the game but I cannot connect through IE to anything! Frustrating as he--.

I tried another NIC in my PC and now I get "cable disconnected" for the NIC, I tried three different cables ... no luck. Searching from my g/f computer it looks like it may be an aobot worm ... one person said he got rid of it with TrendMicro's Housecall ... well of course I can't connect to the site.

Any ideas? The other alternative is reformat and reload. I would prefer not to for obvious reasons. Any ideas anyone?

I remember someone talking of another browser, not Netscape or Opera but another freeware type ... think that may work?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-03, 06:14 PM
Spybot is a potent tool and may have borked your browser. Try Add/Remove programs, remove IE, select the repair option.

What anti-virus program do you use?

Mozilla's Firebird is a nice browser. I am using it now.

Old 12-17-03, 06:44 PM
I removed the browser earlier. No change.

Using NAV and its up to date as of this morning ... funny I could do the auto update.

Somehow the config totally changed after I deleted the spy bot ware. I lost all my normal desktop clutter. I was able to get to housecall ... this is really confusing me ... anyway housecall is about halfway finished and has found "adw_ruledor.c." Not sure what exactly it is but it cannot access it. So once housecall completes I will see what is what.

Thanks for the quick response Chris.

Old 12-17-03, 07:01 PM
tae
For those out there (like me):

borken adj.
(also `borked')
Common deliberate typo for `broken'

Anyway, go here to see all about adw_ruledor.c
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...=ADW_RULEDOR.C

Old 12-17-03, 08:04 PM
I've done the Housecall suggested procedure. Now I'm running housecall again just to be sure. I think I am going to be reformatting/reloading anyway. Things don't look good so far.

My desktop is totally screwed. I've had pain in the a-- viruses before but nothing like this. The first I saw anything out of order was a folder called Lycos/Sidesearch ... from there it has gone down hill.

I'll keep posting as I find things out just so someone else will have some input on it. Wish me luck!

Old 12-18-03, 11:52 PM
threesheds
Visiting Guest
Mozilla's Firebird is a nice browser. I am using it now.
Ditto to that.

Initial scans of a system by either Spybot or Adaware will usually find various things classed as spyware. These are mostly IE cookies and some registry entries that came in whilst using IE. After that, if you switch to just using Firebird, spyware programs never seem to find anything untoward.

Part of the reason for this is probably because cookies are stored in a single text file. Spyware programs don't seem to be able to handle cookies stored this way (Internet Explorer uses a separate file for every cookie).

That's not too much of a disadvantage because Firebird gives the option to block cookies that you delete manually from ever re-entering your computer again. I've got so used to spyware programs not finding anything that I rarely bother using them now.

Maybe I'll come unstuck one of these days!

Old 12-20-03, 06:06 PM
Well its all over. I spent a couple day s trying to beat it and it beat me. Just finished reformatting, partitioning, installing and reloading. What a bunch of crap ... the final slap was W2K didn't recognize my NIC. I assumed it did and I was going in crcles trying to figure out why I wasn't connected locally or internet wise. Finally back in full force, with more partitions and I am going to install Linux and learn a bit about the OTHER operating system out there.

Okay ... did you miss me?

I have to laugh at myself. I hope someone got something out of this besides me.

Once again thanks for the help. Oh and I am going to d/l Mozilla Firebird!

Old 12-20-03, 10:13 PM
Linux

I recommend Mandrake Linux 9.1 as a good version of linux. It has a feel that is familiar to Windows users. It usually installs flawlessly. It can be refreshing to learn something new as I have been doing with Windows the past few weeks.

Old 12-24-03, 10:51 AM
Still_Waters_43
Visiting Guest
FYI If this occurs again I would use the Recovery option in Spybot. In fact anytime you contemplate using a system mod type program it's a good idea to think about a recovery strategy if things should go wrong (as sooner or later they will)