Virus removal

Old 12-21-03, 09:30 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Virus removal

Guys, Sophos has alerted me to a virus running in my new computer (Dell 8200) running XP its App/Gator-A and it is existing in a Program file on my C drive as GMT.exe. I found the file in explorer. but windows wont let me delete it per the instructions from Sophos. The only thing I couldnt do from the sophos instructions was to log on as the "Adminstrator" Im not sure how to do this. A virus scan has detected this bug in several files, but sophos sends an error after they ask me if I want to delete the file, saying they were unable to delete it for me. Any clues here?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-03, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
File sharing programs such as Gator and other virus-ware create many problems. Anti-virus programs can help, but downloading this sort of questionable programming can cause problems because it is self-inflicted.

You migh try Start, Run, Command, and in command line, drill down to the file and delete it manually.

If you can open a command line window with Command in the Run line, you will be the administrator, provided you are the administrator.

Search for the file and keep the path to the file open, the open a DOS window with Command. Type the path to the file to verify that it is valid, then delete the file.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-21-03, 03:05 PM
You do not have to be logged in as the Administrator user, you just have to be a user that has administrator privledges.

Unless you have created your regular user in a special way or changed the privledges, then whatever user you normally use has administrator privledges.

Old 12-21-03, 07:40 PM
If GMT.EXE is running you won't be able to delete it. First Ctrl+Shift+Del and look under the processes tab. Make sure you don't see GMT.EXE running. If it's not running, then go to start, run, type MSCONFIG, then go to the startup tab. Make sure it's not there either. After that restart the computer in safe mode, and delete the file. It should let you do it. If not yo'll need to start the system using the XP boot disk, and delete the file from outside windows.