Printer shareing

Old 12-23-03, 07:27 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Printer shareing

I have two computers one laptop and one desk top both run windows XP my connection is DSL and I am using a router for the lap top.
Can I use the printer hooked up to the desk top from a remote location when I am on the laptop?If so how?
Thanks a million this is the best site

Old 12-23-03, 07:35 AM
R
Your post is a little confusing, but I am going to assume that both computers are properly connected to the router and that you can explore each computer from the other. If this is not the case then you need to make it so, or connect the two computers in some other manner.

In your printer setup on the desktop there will be a tab for sharing. Share the printer on the network. Next you configure the printer on the laptop, but instead of installing as a local printer you browse for it on the network and install it there.

Obviously your desktop computer must be turned on to print through it.

Old 12-23-03, 08:35 AM
M
Yes they are correct

Yes they are both hooked up thru the router the laptop is wireless and has no printer.I can be on one computer and my wife on the other at the same time but only under diffrent screen names.I will check out my printer setup now tank you very much.

Old 12-23-03, 03:29 PM
noahphex
Visiting Guest
An easy way to install the desktop printer is to browse to it from the laptop via the Network Neighborhood. Once you see the desktop machine, then under it should be the Printers folder, and then you just double click on the printer and it'll install it as a local printer on the laptop.

I have all my machines in my house printing off one file server machine that has 2 different printers set up on it.

Old 12-24-03, 07:40 PM
M
OK

Ok Thank you I will give it a shot tonight Thanks again.I just need to find were the network neighbord is on the lap top.

Old 12-24-03, 08:46 PM
C
Click Start, the look on the right, halfway up for Network Places.

Old 12-31-03, 04:52 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Honestly, the easiest and best way to share a printer is to buy a print server. They are cheap and don't require a computer to be on.

Old 12-31-03, 09:41 PM
T
Okay I am running W2K and she is running XP. I have my Laser shared and I use it all the time, connected to my PC. She attempts to get to the printer through my computer in Network Places but it comes up with needing a password? I never set a password other than for the basic network and the password set for her doesn't allow her into my computer.

I have her set with the same rights as me ... not administrator but all other rights. Any ideas? Of course this is after having to reformat and reload a couple days ago!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: