File extensions etc

Old 12-23-03, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
File extensions etc

Hi,
Merry Christmas everyone hope you are all well and going to enjoy Christmas.

I have a couple problems,
1) In my C:\downloads I have several downloads which I can not open when I do I get that box which asks which program I want to use to open. One in particular has an file .exe.cfm How can I get to open .
2) I know to delete temp file ie tmp* from the computer but what other files do I need to delete besides this one ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-03, 07:29 PM
File Extensions

Hi again.
Just found a further problem.
I went to download 'ad-ware' but every time I try I get 'Eudoradownloads' as the download box and the puter freezes so that I can not a) change to C:\ downloads as the preferred download position and b) How can get over the freezing.
Does the spyware on the puter know whats coming and is trying to stop the download. and how can I change the default download to C:\downloads.??

Old 12-23-03, 10:54 PM
Try to download ad-aware to the desktop, then run the installer. Some viruses block or disable anti-virus programs.

A file with a double extension such as *.exe.cfm sounds suspiciously like a virus. Ordinarily, I would expect it to be *.cfm.exe. The suffix *.cfm could be a cold fusion template, corel font, or visual dBase form.

Are you running a current anti-virus program?

The freezing up of the computer may be spyware or virus-related. You may have to have the computer cleaned by someone to remove a virus that your anti-virus program cannot remove.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-23-03, 11:33 PM
File extensions

chfite.

Thank you for your reply.
I have AVG virus which runs every night and is up to date as of yesterday (23/12/03)
Not sure how I can download to the desktop as every time I click to download the box of eudora opens up to eudoradownloads .
Is there a way of changing the default from eudora to say c:\downloads. ??

Old 12-24-03, 12:26 AM
Still_Waters_43
Visiting Guest
The exe.cfm is a Unix database that has a locking feature to prevent overwriting it. Eudora maybe trying to download into this file and if so it would lock up. Rename the file to something else (e.g exe.old), then try the download again. If the downloads works and if you have no further issues delete the file in a few days.

Old 12-24-03, 01:21 AM
File Extensions

Still_waters.

Thank you for your reply.
I had someone help me on the puter today and so I have just done a finfor eudora and found a file 'eudoradownloads' at the top of the list so I just deleted it and hey presto I was then able to download into my preferred location of 'C:/ downloads' without any problems at all. Eudora still works ok so that fixed one problem
I've downloaded ad_ware ok and ran it but it picked up a lot of suspect areas which I'm not sure of what to do with/
ran AVG earlier too and found 4 virus a couple trojan horses and a couple java/byeV which AVG has healed.
Is virus singular or plura,l is it viruses for more than one or virus?

Old 12-24-03, 05:33 AM
I've downloaded ad_ware ok and ran it but it picked up a lot of suspect areas which I'm not sure of what to do with
Let Ad-aware remove what it finds.

ran AVG earlier too and found 4 virus a couple trojan horses and a couple java/byeV which AVG has healed
Perhaps, you should run AVG more frequently or set it to monitor what you transfer to your computer to prevent the virus.

Virus, virii? Most just say viruses. Not much knowledge of Latin in the general population anymore.

The exe.cfm is a Unix database
I guess you better watch out for the Unix databases on your Windows computer.

Glad you got it worked out.