Rebuilding Computer

Old 12-25-03, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding Computer

Ok I am ready to install my new motherboard and processor. Asu P4P800 Deluxe and a P4 processor. here is the plan.

Boot up and setup the new Bios.

Then boot using my Maxtor installation disk, partition and reformat the 30 gig disk 50/50 and then a new install of Windows 2000pro.

Update windows at microsoft. com

Install all the new drivers that came with the motherboard and check at asus.com to see if I need the bios update.

Then reinstall all of my software and restore all of my data from a backup DVD or from my second hard drive. The second hard drive will be used for video editing after I dup all the backup info.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Will it boot from my DVD without windows installed. I remember in windows 98 it was a chore to install cd drivers but I think the Max blast disk will do it.

Any more advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-03, 08:21 PM
Boot up and setup the new Bios.
I guess you mean to set the first boot device to be the optical drive. Nothing else really needs to be set. Hard drives are automatically detected with a modern BIOS.

Update windows at microsoft. com
After you load the drivers for your NIC or modem, whichever you use, and set up your internet connection. I would install the motherboard drivers before the update. I would also install the anti-virus program before getting on the internet.

Will it boot from my DVD without windows installed?
Yes, the ATAPI drive is detected at boot up and enables an optical drive that will read a CD ROM to read a bootable CD ROM.

restore all of my data from a backup DVD
You will need to install your DVD program first to enable reading DVD.

video editing
I trust you have plenty of RAM and big, fast hard drive for this.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-26-03, 08:09 AM
I prefer XP Pro over Win2K.
Why would you devide the hard drive into two partitions? A hardware failure will toast the whole drive, and viruses don't really care about partitions.

With Win2K all you need to do is make sure the CDROM is setup as first to boot, then restart the computer.
If you have a DVDRW drive you may need to install the DVD writing program first. If you will be making DVDs using movies on the second hard drive make sure you make the DVD a slave to the first hard drive. You always want to write from one channel to the second, or your throughoutput will be cut in half.

This is my plan of action anytime I build a new computer or do a full reinstall.

First I copy all fo the files I want to keep from the install hard drive to the second or spare drive (always have a spare ).
Next I pull out my XP CD, restart, and do a new install (delete the existing partition, format with NTFS). After windows is installed I go to windows update and install all of the updates (or the ones I think should be installed). I do all this with just minimal hardware installed (only the main drive/CDROM, video card and NIC (if dialup modem, but don't recommend it ).
After all of the windows updates are installed Norton (or McAfee) comes next, along with all of its coresponding updates. Next comes all additional hardware (sound cards, tuner cards, etc). When all of this is done the second hard drive is connected, and programs/settings will be reinstalled/copied back to where they belong.

I only install a BIOS update if it will fix any problems. In this case (only ) I'm a fan of don't fix what's not broken. Sometimes a BIOS upgrade will transform a perfectly functioning system into an error prone one.

If you'll be doing video editing I hope you have at leat 512Mb (1G preffered) of at least DDR333 (DDR400 preffered). Having a RAID 0 configured system (for the video hard drives) is a big bonus, and so is having drive with large caches (like the WD special edition).

Old 12-26-03, 09:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Trinitro and chfite
Thanks for all the great advice. My project is now on hold. My motherboard needs a 4 pin 12V plug and my power supply does not have one. Thought the mother came with an adapter but it was optional. I have a 250 watt power supply so I will update it to a 300 or 350. I see the new power supplies come with the new plug. I also do not have a case fan so I will add that also.
I thought about updating to XP pro but decided to stick with the 2000 pro, it also is very stable for video editing.
Good point about not partitioning the main drive. I thought it would be easier while backing up my data but it is just as easy to make sure all data goes to MyDoucuments and back up just that. I do have a gig of DDr 400 memory and think I have my bases covered. I am going to chek the computer shops for a power supply today, if the cost is not reasonable will order on the net. Fun project.

Old 12-26-03, 11:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I definitely agree about not partitioning the HD - after installing the OS, installing AV and FW, installing all your video editing software (not a small footprint by any means) and then you start saving files - if anything, you'll need a much larger HD (probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 100+ Gigs.) Don't forget, when you're working with video editing, it's a good idea to keep backups of the files you are working on, just in case something happens - then you figure in temporary files and the sort - and you're talking about doubling and tripling your file sizes on each video you edit.

HD's are so cheap these days (I've seen 80Gb/8Mb Cache HD's for around $35-40 after rebates - 120's for about $50), there's no reason to limit yourself.

Good luck!

Old 12-27-03, 01:31 PM
On the video editing side I think you need a seperate video drive, preferably on the secondary IDE. It is common practice in the NLE (non-linear-editing) world. You don't want to capture video to the drive that contains your OS. The OS always gets top priority for interupts and wait states. You don't want a critical OS call delaying the capturing of video to your hard drive.

Also, I disagree on the partitioning. The main reason for partitioning the main drive is so you can have your OS on one partition and your data and program files on the second partition. Video editing computers are known to melt down on occassion. Its a lot simplier to format the first partition and reinstall if you don't have to back up your data first.

Old 12-27-03, 01:59 PM
. Video editing computers are known to melt down on occassion.
If the hard drive controller fails and borks the hard drive, all the data is gone. The partitions don't matter when the drive crashes. A 30 GB drive is large enough for the OS and programs, but the video files would be better off on a secondary drive of greater size. With a GB of RAM, paging should not be too much of a problem with a fast enough drive with a big cache.

Fortunately, DMA keeps concerns about writing to drives to a minimum by obviating the need for waiting for processor routines. Processors are plenty fast nowadays. The holdups are drive write speeds and RAM size.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-27-03, 02:42 PM
I believe the original poster said a second hard drive will be used. Video editing should be done on the second drive. That way no other program will compete. The DVDRW should be on the first channel.

Old 12-27-03, 04:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yup, I have a 160 gig hard drive for video. I had a tough time getting rid of the old partition, but I got it. This computer is fast. Hope video editing goes well. Thanks all for the help
Mike