Printer Compatibility Question

Old 12-27-03, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Printer Compatibility Question

I want to use my old printer just for checks for my business. I tried to use the CD to install it and got the message "Windows 2000 dose not support this driver" I think thats right I didn't write it down. The printer I want to use is a hp desk-jet 832C. The computer I want it to work on is the one listed below.
Any one know a way to make this work?

My Info
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 05
System Model P9851A-ABA 523n
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-03, 06:30 PM
Still_Waters_43
Visiting Guest
You need to go to the website of the Printer manufacturer (e.g. epson, canon, etc.), go to the support section and look for the printer drivers for Windows XP and download and install what you need.

If this does not prove successful, then let Windows add a generic driver. Go to the Add New Hardware option in Control Panel and follow the promts, when it asks for the printer CD choose the option to let Windows pick a driver.

Good luck.

Old 12-27-03, 06:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Follow the instructions <a href="http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml;jsessionid=01CX3YROMN5MRQFIKSAUNZQ?reg=na&cc=us&docName=bpd09005&lc=en">here</a> (HP Support website.)
The disk you're using is probably an old Win95/98/ME disk or something that just won't run on an NT version of Windows - you shouldn't have any problems downloading and installing a newer version of the drivers and getting the printer up and running.

Good luck!

Old 12-27-03, 07:43 PM
Still_Waters_43
Visiting Guest
Just to clarify, You need to go to the website of the Printer manufacturer not the maker of the PC unless they are the same of course

Old 12-27-03, 07:55 PM
I have been to hp site and they say I have the drivers I need . Maybe I"m overlooking something. Shouldn't I see a icon for both printers in the my computer window? I have the printer I'm trying to use hooked into the Parallel port. Its the only one thats the right size so I know thats right. So what am I doing wrong?

Old 12-27-03, 08:04 PM
I used the wizard to manually install the printer. Working fine now thanks for the help.

Old 12-27-03, 08:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Both printers? What other printer do you have hooked up?

I would start by completely removing/uninstalling the printer from the computer - just delete it from the Printers window. Then download the WinXP driver file from the HP site - don't worry about what HP says, just download the file, just in case.

Now restart the computer - leaving the printer disconnected. Now, look at the installation instructions on the HP site and follow them <i>exactly</i> - IE, if it says to shut down the computer and connect the printer, make sure you do that, if it says to install the drivers before connecting the printing, make sure you do that. If you follow the directions to a T, you should have no problems.

Good luck!

Old 12-27-03, 08:21 PM
The other printer is a hp 2110 that i got with my new computer. The old printer is going to be a dedicated check printer for my business. I don't want to have to load and un load my checks all the time. They both work fine now so I think I'll stop. LOL thanks for the help.