formating, What is it?

Old 12-29-03, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
formating, What is it?

I tried to save a pdf file (20 pages) from the irs.
While saving it to a 3.5 floppy disk, I got a pop up saying the disk in drive B is not formatted, do I want to format now.
(B is an external drive I use since my machine eats/jambs the disks put in to the real drive A )
What is formatting?
I cant find an easy answer on the help sites.
I have a compaq 6000 with windows X P.
Please be simple in your answer Thank You!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-03, 06:46 PM
C
Format is the preparation of the disk for writing by means of a drive. To format the disk, insert it in the drive, click on my computer, right click on the B drive, and select format. When the process is complete, your disk is ready for saving files.

You could have chosen Yes, when presented with the original dialogue about the disk not being formatted and have achieved the same end.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-29-03, 07:35 PM
R
Those floppy disks used in 3.5 inch floppy drives are actually 2.0 megabyte disks. Formatting makes the disk useable by a particular disk drive and operating system. When you format a 3.5 inch floppy disk for Windows, the useable size becomes 1.44 megabytes. The lost space is the information placed on the disk so that it can be used by Windows.

All disks need to be formatted so they can be used. Usually floppy disks are preformatted and the end user does not have to format them. However, sometimes they are not formatted and they need to be formatted before they can be used.

Old 12-29-03, 08:26 PM
Also, formatting erases ALL files on the disk. Be sure the disk is actually empty or has infos you don't want before formatting.

Old 12-29-03, 09:57 PM
Thanks

Big Thanks to you three! I was getting worried that my question was so easy for you that with all the views, no one wanted to bother, or it might have been too hard too put in simple terms. HOW DARE I DOUBT THE "D I Y" TEAM
I SHOULD ALSO SAY that when i tried to save it to a new 3.5 floppy it had no problem, the first floppy I tried had two files that I deleted, which probably means that the computer wanted to clean the disk. (I think)

Old 12-29-03, 10:13 PM
tae
Alot of times an old/bad floppy will get you that same response. Most floppies come preformatted. On the rare occassion i need to use one, if it says format, i toss it in the trash.