Com To Mon

Old 01-05-04, 08:02 AM
john 3:16
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Com To Mon

hey guys,
can someone tell me or post a good link on what all is involved in hooking a computer to your tv. (use tv as monitor). basically a good imformation link on how to, does it work well, and faq. i am tired of monitors. i want a big, clear picture. lol thanks guys DALE

Old 01-05-04, 08:23 AM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I wouldn't recommend using at TV as a computer monitor. Especially if you are thinking your computer monitor is not clear enough. TV's use a very low resolution compared to a monitor. My computer can output to a TV and I watch movies that way. But reading text (like in Word) is next to impossible on a 36" TV.

Anyway, to answer your question: The easiest way is to buy a video card with a TV-Out connection. I don't have a good link.

Old 01-05-04, 08:41 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try TigerDirect.com, NewEgg.com, and search TechBargain.com.

Look for a card with VIVO (Video In, Video Out) or you could get a VGA to NTSC adapter. But, if you can probably get a VIVO card for about the same price or less these days.

But, as kuhurdler mentioned, TV's are not great for computer displays - it really depends on what you want to do. If you have a large plasma or HDTV it might work.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-04, 10:37 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are still some high-end monitors out there. You should look at things like dot-pitch (distance between the pixels, the smaller the better). You could look at a Sony F520, it's around $1200 or so.

Video cards will also play a role in the quality of the display. Depending on what you're doing, you can get awfully high end cards. Some of the cards that are for CAD cost thousands. ATI and nVidea both make good video cards for gaming.

But even a cheap card & monitor will probably provide better resolution than a TV used as a monitor. One other thing that I found helpful was to get 'computer' glasses, which is an under-corrected version of the glasses that I regularly wear (I'm near-sighted, and not a spring chicken).

-Steve G

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: