Where to find pre-tested RAM?

Old 01-23-04, 08:00 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to find pre-tested RAM?

Other than buying factory pre-tested RAM (Crucial and Kingston supposedly do this), does anyone know of an online retailer that will pre-test RAM prior to shipping? I ask this because I received RAM from newegg.com that was bad, I RMA'd it and the new stick was bad. I have seen companies that test for like $3 in the past, but can't find any now. I don't really feel like paying Kingston prices, and will probably choke someone if I get another bad stick of RAM.

FYI:
Win XP PRO (updated)
Antec 350W
Abit KR7-333 (latest BIOS and N/S Bridge reflashes)
Athlon 2100
Radeon 9600
Creative SB Live 5.1
Kingmax MPXV62D-KX 256MB PC3200 400Mhz DDR CL2.5 184 DIMM Memory (currently)
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X 6L020L1 20GB Ultra ATA/133 7200RPM Hard Drive

New RAM that refused to work: Kingmax SuperRAM Series 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-3200

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-04, 09:27 AM
R
Please don't be offended by this question, but are you sure that the RAM is the problem? Two bad RAMs in a row sounds unusual. Perhaps you are not ordering the right RAM for your system?

Old 01-23-04, 11:51 AM
W
You are asking a very valid question!

The old working RAM is: Kingmax MPXV62D-KX 256MB PC3200 400Mhz DDR CL2.5 184 DIMM Memory

The new RAM was: Kingmax SuperRAM Series MPXB62D 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-3200

I originally purchased the Kingmax RAM from newegg. I wanted the EXACT same type/brand/style of RAM to avoid any and all conflict issues. They no longer make the model number of RAM I currently have, so I got the closest thing to it. They both have the following specs:
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: 32M x 64 -Bit

I put the new RAM in and Win XP wouldn't recognize it. Under properties, it would only show 256MB of RAM. Inserting the new RAM into slot 1 where the old/good RAM resided would yield no system beep, no OS load. I tried the new RAM in every slot, every which way with the same results.

The main reason why I am frustrated is that I specifically took the additional time to ensure that the new RAM was identical to the old to avoid conflict.

Any thoughts after my clarification???

Old 01-23-04, 01:10 PM
T
I would try a different brand... it's possible that both are bad, but very unlikely. Are you sure you're using all the protection possible? Discharge yourself, antistatic wrist band, etc. RAM is easy to damage.
I personally only use Crucial and Kinstone RAM...nothing else.

Old 01-23-04, 01:12 PM
T
What kind of system do you have? Some manufacturers require special memory. Even though the spec may look the same there are some differences. Are they both single sided or is one double sided?

Old 01-23-04, 03:52 PM
W
The good stuff has the chips on one side, the bad stuff has chips on both sides. The hubby works in electronics and installed the RAM, so any precautions necessary, he exceeded. Looks like we will just have to get some Crucial or Kingston. Any types/model numbers we should buy? Preferrably with a link to newegg? I would like a 256 stick.

Old 01-24-04, 06:32 PM
C
There is a configuration tool at crucial.com to help select the memory using the motherboard specifications.