cable internet telephone

Old 01-24-04, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cable internet telephone

I'm having a problem with this internet telephone service. I can't pinpoint the problem, but have some ideas. Maybe you guys can help me since I have the worst time getting it back up again.

I'm using a SB4200 Surfboard cable modem, RealTek ethernet card. No problem connecting to the internet.

I also have a Motorola digital phone adaptor. I'm running Win98se.

This is the scenerio when it goes down. My husband has usually played a long day of Baulders Gate on the computer. My email program (Mozilla) is running in the background. I check my mail (tons of it) before going to bed when he's through. The next morning I have neither internet service or phone service.

This morning I managed to get the internet service back up (while not connected to the adapater), but can't get the phone part to work anymore. I've followed the instructions on how to reboot the digital phone adapter. So....when the the whole shabang is hooked up correctly I neither have internet service or phone service, but when I hooked directly to the modem, ethernet card I have internet.

Any ideas? I would love to get the phone back up and running so the kids will stay off my cellphone.

Kay

Ps. I wonder if I hook everything up again and boot into linux would it 'fix' itself. Sometimes that works when I can't get the internet service to come back up again (its being onery lol).

K.

Old 01-24-04, 10:17 AM
tae
Are you running a router? If so, is your port forwarding set up correctly? Check the troubleshooting section of your guide.
http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...alsAccessories
If you are also losing your modem connection, which should be ahead of the phone, i would say it's a cable problem. Your signal might be weak. See if you can get them to come out and do a signal test. I have always split the cable line right at the box on the house, and one line goes to the modem only, and the other goes to the splitter for the rest of the house. try to keep the signal as strong as possible.

How do I reboot my Phone Adaptor?

Instructions for rebooting your Phone Adaptor:
Unplug your cable/DSL modem.
If you have a router, unplug its power cable.
Unplug the power cable from the Phone Adaptor.
Wait 30 seconds or follow the modem manufacturer's instructions.
Plug your cable/DSL modem back in and wait for it to start up completely before continuing.
If you have a router, plug it back in and wait for it to start up completely before continuing.
Plug in the power cable for the Phone Adaptor.
Wait at least two minutes.
Reboot your computer and check to make sure that you have an Internet connection.
Pick up the telephone receiver and listen for a dial tone.

Old 01-24-04, 10:46 AM
I'm not running a router.

I have an option on Earthlink's site to raise or lower the bandwidth. They recommend lowering it when this happens, but reducing the bandwidth also reduces the clarity of the calls.

Kay

Old 01-25-04, 09:02 AM
Still a no-go on the telephone deal. I've tried everything I can think of on this end so I'll have to call the cable company monday when they're open and get it straightened out.

I'm just having a bad computer week again.

Off to post yet another computer question....

Kay

Old 01-25-04, 09:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Kaybyrd,
I am curious about the cable phone you are using. Is this provided by the cable company? Does it replace your old phone. I know some areas were coming out with a cable phone, but I have never talked to any one who has one. Are you saving money? Hope you get it up and running again.

Old 01-25-04, 10:01 AM
I am currently using Earthlink through Time Warner (roadrunner). Earthlin offered this (which is actually through another company but can't remember the name at the moment).

It does save me money, but I'm wasting money if it doesn't work.

My landline phone was trashy due to poor lines here. Dialup impossible, and carrying on a conversation on the telephone was almost as impossible. I kept experiencing dropped calls, not just losing connection on the internet LOL.

Anyway, to get the same service with MaBell was around $70 per month. I have more features now, but for $34.99 per month. I have unlimited local and long distance (including Canada). I could even choose my own area code. This includes (with the unlimited local and long distance) caller id, call waiting caller id, voice mail, call forwarding, call block...)

It was simple to get up and running, too. I just hooked the digital phone adapter they sent me between my computer and my cable modem. I can be on both the phone and the internet at the same time. It doesn't seem to affect the quality of the phone or the internet speed.

Since we had the wind storm last year, it seems that I've experienced a lot of problems with my cable service period.

One big downfall that I can see the having the cable phone is that when the power is out - no phone. You also can't hook your security system to it either.

You can use it with a router, but I don't have a router so I'm not sure how that works. LOL - I can't even figure out how this thing works!

I'm not pushing Earthlink here, its just the one I chose, but you can go to earthlink.net and check it out under the broadband/cable extras.

Kay

Old 01-25-04, 11:14 AM
tae
since you mentioned the windstorm, then you probably have a bad connection or cable run somewhere. like i said, you shouldn't lose your internet connection to the modem if the phone is bad. see if they will check their connections/cable runs and signal strength. Tell them it happens when it's windy or rains or something like that. It's usually not hard for them to run a new line.

Old 01-25-04, 12:05 PM
I had them check the lines about 6 months ago since we'd been having the problems with cable. Now those issues are gone, but I may need to have them come back out again.

It seems to be a Saturday deal. Saturday mornings I don't have the telephone again. Saturday before last I went to the office and they reset everything from their computers but I couldn't get there in time this past Saturday.

I will call them to let them know that I have problems with the lines again. I've run all new cabling throughout the house, and tested it (well, my husband did all that).

As long as I don't even connect the digital phone adapter up I get internet service fine. Its just the 'loop' through isn't working now.

Kay

Old 01-26-04, 06:41 AM
T
The "digital phone adapter" is really a router. A voice over IP router. Something in it's configuration file is corrupted. Perhaps there is a way to reset the adapter.

Old 01-26-04, 06:55 AM
I've tried 'rebooting' the adapter by unplugging it. I left it unplugged this time for 2 hours before trying to boot everything back up.

I'm beginning to think its the adapter since I'm suppose to be able to type in the adapter address via a browser and check the settings but it can't even talk to the router.

I'll call earthlink a little later and see if they have any ideas.

The router (digital phone adapter) isn't listed in my network stuff, never has been so I don't think that's the problem. The thing is a motorola VT1005V

I may try checking motorola's site too. The wait time on the phone is 45 minutes right now. {frown} and all I have right now is my cellphone. May try emailing them and have the call me.

Kay

Old 01-26-04, 10:55 AM
T
Isn't there a reset button on the adapter? Unplugging in will probably not solve much.

Old 01-26-04, 11:40 AM
I've looked everyone on the adapter and also looked online for any more information.

While hooked up correctly, I get the correct ISP address listed in winipcfg, same as when I just directly connect the computer to the cable modem. For some reason it isn't moving through the adapter.

Here's a link to the adapter I'm using. Its the one that earthlink sent for me to use.

http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...ducts/vt1000v/

Kay

Old 01-26-04, 08:55 PM
I've been checking forum boards on this issue. Apparently no one has pinpointed the problem. Some think its due to the make of the ATA since fewer people have reported trouble with Cisco ATA as opposed to what they're shipping now, which is the VT1005v (Motorola). There have also been reports of the Motorola logging itself in at too many servers? Not sure how all that works.

I've tried some of the tricks posted. Most are people using routers. I am also suppose to be able to type in the adapter's ip address to access its control panel. Page cannot be found. I can't even ping the sucker. I've tried to manually change the IP and gateway long enough to reach the adapter page, but that doesn't work either.

The wait time to speak to a tech and be added to their 'worksheet' is anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours.

I would just call and cancel this phone but apparently it worked long enough for me to get past my 14 day test period. Now it will cost me not only the shipping to return the ATA device, but I have to pay $40 disconnect fee. If I can't get it up and running the disconnect fee won't hurt me too much since its foolish to pay $40 a month for something I can't use anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas? If I need to, I can post the links to these sites/forums and maybe you can decifer what they're saying.

Kay

Old 01-27-04, 07:30 AM
T
I went over the brief manual posted on Motorola's site, and didn't learn much.
How is your computer's IP setup? Is everything automatic? If I understand this correctly when everything is working the cable modem will assign the Motorola box (Mbox) an IP address. The Mbox will then assign a differnt IP address (192.168.x.x) to the computer (acting as a NAT server). If you connect the Mbox to the computer only (straight through cable) and turn it on, the PC should obtain an IP address (even without the cable modem connected). If you don't (or you get an autoconfiguration address), and your computer's TCPIP settings are set to all automatic then the Mbox is bad.

Old 01-27-04, 08:37 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, that manual is not much help at all - 32 pages and not a one of them is helpful.

I would start by connecting each device one-by-one starting with the modem. Reset anything that you can (including the modem.) Go slowly down the line, allowing each device to stabilize before plugging in the next device. I'm sure you've done this, but make sure you are resetting everything as you go - the modem especially, they can be touchy to what MAC address is connected to them and form a "memory" of the address.

You may also want to e-mail TS about resetting the VoIP modem - sounds like it may not have DHCP enabled or be using the wrong IP or God only knows what.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-04, 08:57 AM
I'll try these things and post back what I discover.

Here's I was reading but I can't do anything it recommends because I can't access the address of the adapter.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...4566~mode=flat

And the other board won't load right now, but its http://www.vonage-forum.com

The pages jump while viewing the last one, really annoying, too. I've read so much and am not any wiser. I don't understand the router deal (don't have one, but this is like one?).

I did email tech and got the canned response that someone would be getting back to me.

Kay

Last edited by kaybyrd; 01-27-04 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-27-04, 09:21 AM
T
A "regular" router will act as the first computer in the network. As far as the world is concerned this is what they see. The beauty of it is that since everything is read only you can't really hack it. Even though may be successfull in getting in you can't really make any changes. A router will also take 1 IP address that the ISP is providing and assigning each computer in the internal network a differnet one so that they can all access the internet at the same time. As far as the world is concerned you only have one computer. Think of it as a one way mirror. Nobody from the outside can look in, but everybody inside can look out.

The phone adapter you have is basically a souped up router. The only difference is that it has a VoIP module. Internally it has probably a regular router chipset. That is what you see when you go to the configuration address. That address will work even without an external (WAN) connection as long as your PC is setup as DHCP. Is your computer getting an IP address from the phone box? Or does it have an autoconfiguration address?
What do you see when you run winipcfg?

Old 01-28-04, 09:24 PM
I've been working with a tech on this issue since yesterday evening. Apparently my router (ATA) decided to lock up during a download Saturday morning. There's been no activity since. I let everything sit idle yet hooked up from 7 p.m. last night until 10 a.m. this morning per their instructions. Still a no-go. I'm locked out on this end, but they were trying to upload new firmware to the ATA device during that time. This morning they called to let me know that the device wasn't accepting the firmware program (the other had an error in it) so they were rerouting me. I was to leave the system idle for two hours. The device did 'phone home' and received a ping right at the two hour mark, but still not working.

The gentlemen that I spoke with have been working on it and said that if this last didn't work they would contact me in the morning about returning this one and they would replace it with a brand that was known to work without problems. It is something about these Motorolas that just don't work most of the time.

I'll keep you updated, and really appreciate your help. It was nice to be able to actually help the techs on this end because I knew some information about the issues because of my research, and the biggest thing is that they didn't have to go through saying start/run, etc. They could just say "run your ip config prog" "what does it say" tell me what your network has up.... It also helped when I explained the different things I've tried so they didn't have to ask what I had done to test things. I had already tested the cables, and the various ideas listed here.

Thank you guys! Thanks to you I am a better customer when talkign to techs LOL.

Oh, and I might add that the techs I spoke with today were nothing like the techs mentioned on the vonage forum board. I went through unlimited voice tech and they called me quickly after I emailed them, and have kept in touch via emails and phone calls. They are very respectful of the fact that I need to be online during the day and have worked around my schedule. I'm really impressed, but will be thoroughly impressed when I am totally up and running both with internet service and phone service.

Kay

Old 02-01-04, 06:38 PM
They determined that it has to be the adapter so they're sending me a new one to try. I am excited, and hoping that it is a better one since it is also a Motorola. I haven't found another Motorola other than the one I've already got. Oh well, we shall see.

It should be here sometime next week so I'll update you on if this one works or not. I realize that this is a relatively new thing for consumers so it will have bugs, but to not work at all is not fun. I can't leave the adapter hooked up except at night since I need to be able to access the internet during the day.

I hope it works and they can find ways to make it work even if the power is off like a landline, but I'm not sure how that could happen since the adapter is powered.

I did find out that I don't have to leave the computer on once the adapter is actually setup and operational. I can turn the computer off afterwards and the phone will still work. Of course, that may have been a flaw in the defective adapter LOL.

Kay

Old 02-01-04, 07:40 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I hope it works and they can find ways to make it work even if the power is off like a landline, but I'm not sure how that could happen since the adapter is powered.
You could get a UPS Backup - but it would be expensive, and they don't last that long. Not sure how much power it would draw, can't imagine it's too much, but it would be better than nothing. At least it would keep the adapter from shutting down because of power flashes.

Good luck with the new adapter!

Old 02-02-04, 07:04 AM
T
How long the UPS will keep the system running depends on how much you use the phone. If you don't it will run a long time as the cable modem and the adapter don't use much current at all. However, when you use the phone the adapter will have to generate the -48V required for the phone to run. That's when the power drain occurs.

Old 02-02-04, 07:15 AM
R
A UPS expensive? Hardly. A good UPS can be had for less than $50.00 after rebates. Even at full price they are under $75.00.

Old 02-02-04, 07:43 AM
$40 for the current one, but they're replacing it with one that has a cost of $100. Not sure what it is, just said Motorola device on the ticket. I haven't paid for these devices, they were free with the service. I know the cost of the first one only because I have 14 days to return it after receiving my new one or they'll charge me $40. I've heard the Cisco's cost around $110. They use to be the brand that was sent out with the digital voice packages. Now its the motorola deal.

I haven't done a good search on them, because they said they would replace this one since its defective.

Kay

Old 02-17-04, 06:49 PM
Update

After two dead devices, the third one they sent me works! I'm so relieved. Not only is it odd that two in a row don't work, but I have a brand new computer as well.

I have been super thrilled with their customer service and the fact that on this third device they shipped it next day air for me.

We'll see how long it lasts LOL. The first one bombed after 3 weeks, and the second never worked. Maybe 3rd is the charm?

Thanks for the help and support everyone!

Kay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: