Adding a Mouse to a Laptop

Old 01-24-04, 02:21 PM
billfn
Visiting Guest
Adding a Mouse to a Laptop

I'm familiar with desktops, but not laptops.

Upon plugging in a mouse into the laptop's (ps2) port, the pointer becomes erratic and eventually the machine locks up.

Do I need to disable the built in laptop trackball first? If I do, do I assume that this is done in BIOS via set-up?

Hope you can help.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-04, 02:48 PM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
Billfn,
what model laptop are you speaking of?
Think like you would for a car; make, model and additional specs. Need background info to offer response.
Lotsa nice people here would enjoy helping you.

Old 01-24-04, 04:11 PM
pagorman
Visiting Guest
Did you plug the mouse in AFTER you booted the laptop? If this is the case, then its possible the mouse driver is confused about where the actual mouse is -- built-in or that thing moving around attached to the PS2.

If you haven't already tried this, try powering up the laptop with the PS2 mouse connected.

Second, it may require a mouse driver be installed to operate. Check with your mouse manufacturer to see if they have a set of installable drivers for your laptop's operating system (ie Windows2000, or WindowsXP, etc.)

Old 01-24-04, 10:31 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Typically PS/2 connections should be made beforing turning on the computer - desktop or laptop. It sounds like the computer is recognizing the mouse (seeing as how it's erratic), however it's not able to install the drivers for it as PS/2 ports are not "hot swappable."

Plug it in then power up.

Good luck!