help finding a file real bad

Old 01-25-04, 09:59 AM
sniper3270
Visiting Guest
help finding a file real bad

i have a hp pavilion xt953 comp. iwas trying to run mine norton anti virus it told me it was missing the file instopts.dat. it said try reinstalling the norton when i tryed it said it couldn't because i was missing that file can anybody help me find this file what website to go to or something please help thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-04, 10:13 AM
It Wasn't Me!
Visiting Guest
Hi sniper
Norton causes so many problems with so many computers. I am a member of another help forum and there are so many questions on Norton products and problems they could have their own category just for Norton.
Here is a help page for you..
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...56da500800c03?
OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

Here is another page for more information.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01092114452606

Old 01-25-04, 10:13 AM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it continues to give you trouble, i would suggest a different av scanner: http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
or do an online scan first.
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

You may have a virus already.
Look here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...e=&svy=&csm=no

Situation:
When you click the Norton AntiVirus 2004 icon Navsetup.exe to install the program, you see the error "Instopts.dat is missing.", and the installation stops. You may also see this error when trying to uninstall Norton AntiVirus .

Solution:
This error occurs when the registry key for the Norton AntiVirus uninstaller still exists even though the rest of the product has been uninstalled.

To delete the Norton AntiVirus registry key and reinstall Norton AntiVirus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING: We strongly recommend that you back up the registry before you make any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify only the keys that are specified. Read the document How to back up the Windows registry for instructions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Windows desktop, click Start, and then click Run.
When the Run dialog box appears, type regedit and then click OK.
When the Registry Editor opens, navigate to and select the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\Symsetup

Press Delete, and click Yes to confirm.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symsetup

On the Registry Editor menu, click Registry, and then click Exit.
Reinstall Norton AntiVirus. If Norton AntiVirus was installed as part of Norton SystemWorks or Norton Internet Security, then reinstall Norton SystemWorks or Norton Internet Security.

Last edited by tae; 01-25-04 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-25-04, 08:36 PM
sniper3270
Visiting Guest
didn't work tryed the regestry tryed to reinstall and it still says instopts.dat. is missing any other thoughts ...........thanks

Old 01-25-04, 09:06 PM
tae
Did you try the removal tool Rnav2003.exe removal utility from the second link posted by it wasn't me?

Old 01-27-04, 12:51 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
As 'It wasn't Me' stated, Norton is jam-packed with problems. I just went through the same thing with Norton System Works, and, after trying to uninstall it and getting the extra uninstall tools from Symantec (I found two of them) and searching the registry by hand & deleting all the references to Norton or Symantec and doing everything else I could think of, I gave up. If they're going to make it that hard, it just isn't worth the time. It's like the perfect copy-protection: no-one at all can install it.

I got a copy of System Mechanic which includes Panda AV; seems to work fine. And the Grisoft AV, which is free, also seems to work well.

-Steve G

Old 01-28-04, 07:14 AM
sniper3270
Visiting Guest
finding a file real bad

i tryed the removel tool that didn't work either i went i manualy and removed every i could find with norton antivirus or symantec on it it still would not load the file INSTOPTS.DAT. is still missing i don't even know what this is for or what it means i would restore don't have number one disk it was suppose to have three but only got two called hp for the other disk they don't make them anymore is there any way you can get this off the internet or is comp. just shot????

Old 01-28-04, 12:33 PM
It Wasn't Me!
Visiting Guest
Hi sniper
Other than the info in the above posts you may want to do a Google search and find the INSTOPTS.DAT file. I see there are places to download this file but I do not want to be responsible. You may want to consider backing up all your files and doing a new install of your OS if everything else fails.
good luck

Old 01-28-04, 06:32 PM
C
Some options to locate copies of the disk you need are: check out the HP Pavilion community forum, where you'll see message threads posted by HP Pavilion users, HP support staff, and Pavilion gurus. Once at this page, click into the Pavilion forum. Start by clicking Discussion groups for other HP products at the bottom of the page.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/

Go to the Yahoo! Pavilion Users Group, where you'll find another community of Pavilion users. You'll need to join if you want to ask questions or respond to other users.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hppavilionsupport/

You can get the file here:

www.ac5r.org/instopts.dat

Old 01-30-04, 01:07 PM
sniper3270
Visiting Guest
finding a file real bad

could not get the file to work not sure what to do with it . it came up in notepad couln't even read it tryed everything with it doesn't work for me maybe error on my part not real comp. knowlegable but learing real quick i had norton internet security doesn't seem to work well with my os but reinstalled just plan norton and had no problems installing it as long as i got some antivirus it's better than having none at all but i appreciate everybody's help i will come back here for comp. help agian the people that helped me seem to be very knowegable .........thanks for the help