No fixed disk

Old 01-25-04, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No fixed disk

I opened my son's system back up to install my old hard drive, and put the video card back into it so we'd have the second computer for gaming.

I went through the installation of Windows on the drive. It seemed to be missing some files and other problems. Now I can't get it to even find the drive.

I did notice on his old drive (son's) that the end prongs of the connections were bent down. This is where the cable connects from the motherboard. Its not that way on my drive. I even tried a brand new cable to see if the old one was faulty. If I put his drive in the system it tells me that there is a non-system disk, remove it and hit any key when ready.

Not sure what to do now.

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-04, 10:18 AM
tae
if you are talking about the prongs on the hard drive where the cable plugs into(or any other prongs) they need to be straight. The cable needs to plug into/onto them. Straighten them out carefully, keeping them in their rows, then carefully plug the cable into/onto them. It will probably help to have the cable out of the machine for this. Good luck.

Old 01-25-04, 11:09 AM
Yes, it was the two very end prongs on the drive itself for the connector. I did straighten them carefully, but it still won't read.

Lee, my son, is at work right now so I can't ask him what in the world he's done to this system and why.

I will try pulling all the cables loose and then making sure that the correct things are plugged up.

And here I thought all I would need would be the cpu fan to get this thing up and running LOL.

At least the free monitor we were given works!

Kay

Old 01-25-04, 12:07 PM
tae
Does the computer recognize the drive at all? is it set to master? If you installed an os with the bent prongs, you may need to boot from floppy or cd and reformat and reinstall. You could always take it out and put it in another computer to do that too.

Old 01-25-04, 12:30 PM
Last night I put the cpu fan in that I purchased, plus replaced the video card that I stole out of it. My son took his hard drive out and I put mine in there. I know that mine doesn't have anything on it since it was a linux swap drive. I formated it and installed Windows. However, I realized after the first reboot the reason it was having problems and also asking for a boot disk was because it didn't have the MBR written to the drive.

I decided last night that it was late and I needed to work on this today. When I booted up today with a boot floppy to redo this correctly, I couldn't run fdisk and got the message "no fixed drive found". I tried booting without the floppy and got the message "non-system disk, please insert boot floppy into A and hit any key to continue".

I know that my son's had windows on it, so I thought I would install it along side of mine, and that's when I discovered the bent prongs on the connector. I straightened them out and then tried booting with only his drive hooked up and got the same messages (non-system disk and no fixed drive).

Since its doing the same message with both drives I thought I would try replacing the cable from the motherboard to the drive, but that hasn't helped either.

This is beginning to sound like a motherboard to drive problem. Am I correct in that assumption? I will take this system down and try the drives in it to see if I can get anywhere at all with them.

Kay

Old 01-25-04, 04:42 PM
If the pins on the mobo are bent and straightening them did not help, the straightened pins may still not be straight enough to make contact in the IDE cable's connector. Try the arrangement on the other IDE to mobo connector to see if it will recognize the drive. There may be problems booting from the second IDE connector, but it will be worth a try. The first IDE to mobo connector may just be unusable. Just try some combinations to see if you can come up with one that will work.

Old 01-25-04, 05:52 PM
Okay, this is where I stand and what I've done.

I put Lee's HD into this system. Checked it with my drive to make sure that it actually was readable. It was, scanned it with my virus protection just for good measure.

I then shut down, unhooked my drive and booted up with Lee's. Booted up fine, even installing all the periphials I have attached.

I copied the operating system from it, and the registry code as well. This drive will now go into storage in case I need another one.

I put my old 4 Gig into this system and fdisked it from here. Got it /mbr'd and sys'd out plus the format. Installed the copy of Windows off Lee's drive to this one since I've never bent the pins and don't want problems from it down the line.

I pulled everything out of the extra computer and checked the board connections carefully as I reinstalled. That one is set up a lot different than mine. I got the cables mixed up on the hard drive and the cdrom so it showed up as HD -secondary master and the cdr as primary master. Got that switched back around.

I can't use the floppy drive. The light stays on constantly. I can reboot with a boot disk in it and it reads it then.

I am trying to get updated drivers for the monitor, video card and sound card (which I have no idea what the heck it is) and guess I will put those drivers on cdrom so I can install them on that system. Its not connected to the internet and I don't have an ethernet card in it right now.

I think the video card and audio are together. Its a RAdeon 7000 and has an outlet on the card for sound. I'll see once I get this stuff downloaded. I tried to play Mike's game on there but the video needs some serious adjustments and I'm only allowed 16 colors with the driver its using.

I am experiencing a lot of reboots (auto) and also fatal exceptions. The later occurred often when it was trying to auto detect things. Took awhile before I could actually get other things loaded up, really wanting it to get to the usb card so I could use the mouse. Thank goodness I'm comfortable with keyboarding through windows or I'd been in bad shape.

I will post back with what else happens. Thanks for the help guys. Mike is really excited about being able to play his game. Guess I'd better get back on it so he can play some tonight.

Kay

Old 01-26-04, 09:57 PM
I think my next step on this 'not so little project' will be what I should have done in the first place. I'm going to tear it all down, taking names and numbers off everything and researching them.

Then maybe I can figure out what's causing the system to be so unstable and figure out some of the other issues it has.

Will post back later this week.

Kay