Shared DDR SDRAM question

Old 01-25-04, 03:36 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shared DDR SDRAM question

I am looking at the Dell 2400 and it looks like a great deal except it's quite skimpy on memory, only 128 shared DDR SDRAM. Their upgrade price to 512 seems a bit steep. My question is, is buying DDR SDRAM from some other place and installing it myself going to work? The thing that is confusing me is the 'shared' part. Is this actual memory module any different from standard DDR SDRAM or is it only implying that other resources will also be biting into the RAM that is present? Also, has anyone installed after market RAM into a Dell system? Are Dell products set up to be proprietary and may it act 'wierd' if say a Kingston or other manufacture's RAM is installed instead of a Dell brand? Thanks y'all.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-04, 03:53 PM
tae
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/27479

Dimension 2400 Desktop P4-2.4Ghz Free 256MB/80GB, Free 48x CDRW, Modem, 6 months ISP, Modem, Ethernet, XP Home $549 - $200 rebate = $349. Free shipping, tax is charged. P4-2.66Ghz only +$30. 8x DVD Writer only +$110. A lot faster than the Celeron Versions.

Old 01-25-04, 04:50 PM
C
The shared RAM is the video using the RAM for video rather than the much faster video RAM normally on video cards. It usually shares a small amount of RAM, but is quite slow.

An inexpensive video card is a substantial improvement over shared RAM. I would recommend more than 128 MB RAM for XP.

Use a memory configuration tool such as is found at crucial.com to select memory for a specific computer. Just buying some off of the shelf at the local vendor may produce unsatisfactory results, and having to return it takes time.

For comparison, 512 MB DDR runs around $100, alone, depending upon vendor.

Hope this helps.