Printing pdf.

Old 01-25-04, 03:16 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Printing pdf.

I have WINDOWS ME and a Compaq ij 600 printer.there is a pdf. file on the internet that i want to print for somebody and when I get to the page i want, the printer icon is inactive. i have adobe arobatic 6.0. is there any way to print it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-04, 03:24 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
so when you click file/print it doesnt work? Try saving it then print it from where you saved it.

Old 01-25-04, 03:43 PM
C
Does the file open properly in Adobe Acrobat?

Old 01-25-04, 04:01 PM
R
The adobe file opens up fine. I saved it to my pictures and when I open it up in there after clicking on file the print option is inactive.The print setup option is active though. Is there certain websites that won't allow printing? It is a high school athletic association website. It has a bylaw section that is pdf.formatted and that is what I want printed.

Old 01-25-04, 04:33 PM
It Wasn't Me!
Visiting Guest
In the Adobe program there should be a print key.
If that don't work try Ctl P
Yes there are some websites that don't allow printing, But you can use your print screen key and open it up in a program like print shop pro or word by just clicking paste.

Old 01-25-04, 05:20 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Actually, it's not the website that doesn't allow printing - if you can open a website, you can print it.

However, there are security settings in Adobe Acrobat to dis-allow printing, copying content, changing content, making comments, etc. It sounds like someone has enabled them.

There are ways around it, but it requires special programs.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-04, 05:23 PM
R
At the bottom left of the document I notice there's a little orange lock.When I click on that, a document status message comes up and says 'This document has been encyrpted and may use special security features to prevent modification" Is that why I can't print it?

Old 01-25-04, 05:25 PM
S
Yep, that's it. If you open it in Adobe Acrobat (not through IE), then you can click the File menu, then Document Security, then Security Settings or something to that effect to see what is locked-out. But, I can pretty much tell you, printing is locked-out.

Old 01-25-04, 05:46 PM
R
I went into the document security like you said and sure enough there are a bunch of things not allowed including printing and copying.But I'm still a little confused is it something I can change in my settings or out of my control that they just don't want printed off their website.

Old 01-25-04, 06:22 PM
It Wasn't Me!
Visiting Guest
Hi SafeWatch
I have found many websites that do not allow you to copy/print from their site. But there is a way around that as I stated in my previous post.

Old 01-25-04, 07:01 PM
It Wasn't Me!
Visiting Guest
Here is a free program that will take a screen shot of any website and you can print it.
http://www.webtree.ca/newlife/printkey_info.htm

Old 01-25-04, 09:52 PM
R
I give that a shot but I could not get the writing dark enough on the printout. I check my printer cartritages and they were alright. thanks for all the help though!

Old 01-25-04, 11:15 PM
S
I have found many websites that do not allow you to copy/print from their site.
You're talking about 2 totally different processes - disallowing Copying (or right-clicking, or other methods of disallowing content extraction) is just a simple Java Script - they're everywhere now.

However, printing a site is totally different - if you can open it and you can see it, then (with the exception of documents, like Adobe Acrobat, and other files that require third-party plug-ins that may have their own security), you can print it. There may be a Java Snippit out there that disallows printing, but I have yet to run across it or here of it. If you know of one, I'd love to see a link - I'd like to see how they do it.

BTW, romod, if you really need the PDF, there are programs that will remove the security from the document - Advanced PDF Recovery is one that comes to mind. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there. It's not a very difficult process either - just open the PDF in APDF and tell it to unencrypt the file, then save it. Pretty straight forward - the hard part is finding the programs that let you do that.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-04, 09:14 PM
R
OK I got the advanced PDF recovery and the Document saved to my documents now how do I get it to work?

Old 01-26-04, 10:52 PM
S
Just to the right of the "Encrypted PDF File" box, there is a little Folder icon - click that and open the file. Then click the next icon tot the right, the decrypt button. Save the file and then you can open it.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-04, 12:00 AM
R
Thats it! I finally decrypted it but it only decrypts the first part of the page it says you need to buy the whole version to decrypt the rest.And unfortunatley the rest was where the part was I wanted to print. Oh well I guess i'll never get it. Thanks for all your guys help I would have got no where without it! I know I'm getting greedy but is there a progam that will do it all for free? I would hate to buy the whole thing just to print a few lines.

Old 01-27-04, 03:33 AM
C
Here is a shareware program that will work for the first 5 pages.

http://numericable.tucows.com/preview/282690.html

Hope this helps.

Old 01-29-04, 12:53 AM
R
Hip Hip Hooray! Chfite I Finally got what I wanted thanks for that link! I had room to spare in the trial!

Old 02-01-04, 09:53 PM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
You can use the PrtScn button on your keyboard to copy the screen and a pic editor to save it.