[email protected]

Old 01-26-04, 05:41 PM
M
mlminin
Visiting Guest

Is there anything more that I need to do other than run my Norton Anti-Virus?

I've been reading about it tonight, and there are some other things that they, (Symantics, I believe), said to do. I know very little about computers, (but am learning), and don't want to do more than I should and can. I noticed that no one else on this site has mentioned it. I really want to become computer literate, so I hope you can be patient with me.

Thanks for the help.

~Marcia

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-04, 05:55 PM
I
It Wasn't Me!
Visiting Guest
Hi mlminin

Yes there are two other programs that you should have on your computer to keep it clean from spyware. Download both programs and use them once a week. Make sure the first time you use them you check for updates. There is a button on each program for updates. Run each one and have them fix what they find. Reboot between running each program.
Ad-Aware personal edition...http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Spybot...http://www.safer-networking.org/inde...&page=download
Both programs are free. You should also have a firewall if you are not running one. Please post back and let us know what spyware you found.

Old 01-26-04, 06:13 PM
M
mlminin
Visiting Guest
lavasoftusa.com comes up with:

HTTP 500 Internal Error, Internet Explorer

Is there a moderator that knows anything about the other site that was recommended? (http://www.safer-networking.org/ind...n&page=download)

I hope my question doesn't offend "It Wasn't Me!". The tech side of computers can be scary. I just started a beginning computer class. I hope it helps.

Thanks for the help.

~Marcia

Last edited by mlminin; 01-26-04 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-26-04, 07:16 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
both of the above links worked for me. Dont copy and paste them, just click on them and they should take you there.
As long as you run a scan and it doesnt show up you are ok. if it does show back up, you might have to disable system restore(me and xp) and scan and remove.

Old 01-26-04, 07:36 PM
M
mlminin
Visiting Guest
tae,

Both sites loaded fine for me this time. Thanks.

I ran a scan for my computer earlier tonight and everything was clean. Along with the Norton, Symantics checks all of my emails, incoming and outgoing. I was hoping that was sufficient. Is it not?

if it does show back up, you might have to disable system restore(me and xp) and scan and remove.
I'm sorry. Could you clarify? I don't know what "me" means.

If I have to do what you said, (disable, etc.), I have no idea what that will involve, but I saw a page about it tonight, so I'll refer to that and come here if I have questions. I have had excellent help on this site!

Thank you All.

~Marcia

Old 01-26-04, 08:06 PM
I
It Wasn't Me!
Visiting Guest
mlminin

me means a OS or (operating system). Windows ME, Windows XP and so on. I mean this as no offense to you but a good book for beginners is Windows XP for dummies or what ever OS you are using. It will teach you a lot about your computer system.
Good Luck

Old 01-26-04, 08:24 PM
C
HTTP 500 Internal Server error - usually means the page you are trying to reach is not available right now. Wait a bit and try it again.

When you run Ad aware, just let it scan. When it is finished, select all the found items for deletion. Cleaning out the spyware will help keep your computer running smoothly.

Your anti-virus program should be kept current and set scan e-mail, update automatically, and scan the drive periodically.

Usually you won't need to disable system restore in XP or ME, if ad aware and norton are run regularly. Disabling system restore is sometimes needed in order to remove some spyware and virus infections. With diligence, you should not need to do this.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-26-04, 08:25 PM
tae
Glad you were virus free! remember to keep the antivirus updated. If you have windows xp or me, it has a feature called system restore. Basically, it's like a backup done at periodic intervals, so that if for some reason you have trouble with a new program or installed drivers or something, you can "restore" the system to a previous state before the problem. the downside is that if you had the virus and the system did the backup, the virus will still be listed in there. In that case, you would need to disable system restore, delete it, then re enable system restore. Not a hard process, and luckily you won't have to do that.

Old 01-26-04, 08:26 PM
M
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the recommendation about PC's For Dummies. Actually, I have the book, but haven't looked at it since my beginning days with the computer, which was about 3-4 years ago. I'm ready to do more than email and get info from the internet. Now to find the book...We're in the middle of a remodel/room addition, but I WILL start using it again asap. I'm ready to learn.

Thanks.

~Marcia

Old 01-26-04, 08:35 PM
M
mlminin
Visiting Guest
.... And thanks, to all of you for the help and information. I appreciate it very much.

~Marcia