Please Help Me with installing a home wireless network

Old 01-27-04, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Please Help Me with installing a home wireless network

HI Everyone, Yesterday I had digital cable installed from Comcast Internet and Itís a Motorola surfboard modem. I wanted to make a network in my home. I have an E-machine desktop with win 98 and a Compaq presario 900 notebook with win XP. I bought a linksys model wrt54g for desktop and a matching type card for the laptop. Now it seems that the wrt54G needs an Ethernet port and I donít seem to have one on this e-machine. I did the live chat thing with linksys and they said get another type of linksys that is usb cordless type. But is that a good think to do or should I just get an Ethernet port and install that? Is it easy to install an Ethernet port? It is costing a fortune for all these extras and it's not even working. I would really appreciate any advice steering me in the right direction. Thanks for any tips and advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-04, 09:46 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I recommend using the USB Ethernet adapter - makes it real easy. Just plug the USB adapter into the computer, then connect the network cable between the computer and router. Are you absolutely sure the desktop doesn't already have an Ethernet port? It will look exactly like the ports on the back of the router.

If you want to save a few bucks (but, you'll have to take the computer apart and possibly deal with issues involved with installing a new card), you could buy a network card for about $10. I know <a href="http://www.tigerdirect.com/index.asp?sourceid=3174">TigerDirect.com</a> has a Gigabit 10/100 card for free after rebate - $10 regularly.

There are a few more options - installing a wireless PCI card, or a wireless USB adapter - but, if your router is next to your computer, you'd be better off not using wireless.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-04, 10:23 AM
Smile The plug sound easy but I can't find it!

Brandon, Thank you for your speedy reply. Thanks for the link also. I did some searching after reading your advice and see that there is also a card that says 10/100/1000 is that faster than just a 10/100 or does it make any difference. I would prefer the USB Ethernet adapter. It sounds simpler. Is it just a plug where one end is an Ethernet connector that goes to the router and the other end has a usb connector the plugs to computer? I looked for one on the microcenter site and could no find one nor did I see it at the Tiger site. Perhaps Iím not typing in the right name for it. If I cant find an easier cable Iíll order that free after rebate one that you told me about. Thanks so much.

Old 01-27-04, 10:24 AM
T
I second Brandon's solution. You can get a USB network adapter relatively innexpensive. I only recommend wireless if you absolutely have to. A wired connection is much faster, and less likely for something to go wrong.

Old 01-27-04, 10:29 AM
R
Now you know why it is important to fully understand what you are getting yourself into before you start. With computers it is very easy to get started and end up going much further (ie spending more money) than you originally intended.

I would add a network adapter to your desktop machine. This is the cleanest solution to your problem. However, it may not be the easiest.

Don't be concerned about speed. Your computer is not capable of the 1000 speed, and may not be capable of the 100 speed. Make sure that you buy a nwteork card that will fit in your machine. In other words, make sure that you have a slot available of the appropriate type for the network card that you buy.

As for the USB solution., does your OS and your hardware support USB? You said Windows 98. Do you mean Windows 98SE or do you mean plain Windows 98? You need Windows 98SE for USB. Does your hardware have USB ports, and do you have one free, or will you need to buy a USB hub?

It's never easy. With an older system you cannot simply go out and buy something, you have to know what your hardware and software (OS) are capable of, so you can buy something that will work for you.

Old 01-27-04, 10:49 AM
Wink I'm confused but learning.

Trinito , Bob, Thank you also for the replies. I will now stay away from the wireless and go with wired since I do want more speed. I have plain win 98. It does not have se after it when I looked. I do have an extra usb in the back. There is also one in the front but that is already being used. So do I get the usb to Ethernet adapter and plug into the free usb port on the back or do I buy an Ethernet port and install that? I guess that Iíd like to do it in a way that will be fastest. Iím confused. But at least it does sound like I can keep the linksys devices that I bought?
Thanks all for the great help.

Old 01-27-04, 11:20 AM
R
Plain windows 98 does not support USB unless you have the service packs installed.

Old 01-27-04, 12:27 PM
T
If your computer has a free PCI slot and you feel comfortable opening the computer up and putting the card in go for the PCI card. It's cheaper and more reliable.
If you have no available slots, and you already have a USB port that is in use (what is using the front one now?), then buy a USB network adapter. Plug that in the USB port, windows should find it and ask for the install CD (even better would be to follow the directions that come with it). After the reboot you should be able to just plug in the Ethernet cable in the adapter, reboot, and you should be good to go.

Old 01-27-04, 02:21 PM
Thumbs up I guess I will be adding the ethernet card.

Thanks Trinitro,

I ordered a ethernet card and will install it. It looks like I have at least one empty slot in the back and maybe even two. I hope its all going to work. The usb port in the front has my sacnner plugged into it. The back one is empty. If all this works my next project will be to change the processor to a bigger one and add some ram and a bigger harddrive. Wow, now it sounds like I should just buy a new one.
But for now I just want to get this home network going. Thanks to all for the advice and tips. This site is great.