Unhappy Windows 2000 Search Problem

Hello, I have no idea what happened. Im using windows 2000
professional and for some reason now when I click start-
search- files and folders nothing happens. No screen comes
up, no beeps, no errors- nothing. I even tried right
clicking on my hard drives and searching that way and
nothing happens. I just used this not 3 hours ago and it
worked fine. I have tried rebooting, but it still doesn't
work. I have also done a virus check. It's just weird that I dont even get an error or anything.

Any ideas how to fix this? Everything else with the system works fine.

Thanks

Dwayne

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-04, 06:34 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you installed a tweaking program like tweakui? What did you do between it working, and it not working?

Old 01-28-04, 10:31 PM
LearningMan
Visiting Guest
Yes, I have tweakui installed, but its been on there for over a year and its never gave me a problem.

the only thing I can think of is I installed some testing software and then when unistalling it I had problems. I reinstalled it and then uninstalled it again and it was ok. It was a few hours after that that I just happened to need to do a search and noticed it didn't work.

I tried to search microsoft to see what dll or sys file was used for the search feature of if it wsa just something that was turned off, but I cannot find anything. I ran the windows 2000 cd today and did a sys check to make sure I wasn't missing system files or anything and that went ok.

so I am kinda just lost LOL

Old 01-29-04, 07:35 AM
C
I installed some testing software
Maybe you can follow up with the vendor and see if there is any experience with this problem.

Old 01-29-04, 09:03 AM
tae
Make sure show search results is enabled:
Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click TweakUI.
Click the Desktop tab, click to select the Search Results check box, and then click OK

You are logging on as administrator with full access rights?
Do you have any group policies?

Old 01-29-04, 09:22 AM
LearningMan
Visiting Guest
Tae,
Make sure show search results is enabled:
Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click TweakUI.
Click the Desktop tab, click to select the Search Results check box, and then click OK

You are logging on as administrator with full access rights?
Do you have any group policies?

I checked in TweakUI and under all the tabs including desktop, and I dont have a search results check box anywhere. All I have under desktop is Control Panel, Network Places, and Printers. It just says to right click on them to show or not show or to create as a file.

Old 01-29-04, 09:28 AM
LearningMan
Visiting Guest
Tae,

accidentally hit return..... Anyways I am on a standalone computer, not on a network. I do have admin priviledges and full access rights. This is the only problem I have on the computer.

I dont know how TweakUI could have gotton involved since its been on here for so long with no problems. Should I delete it and see what happens? I called ExamCram who had the software I installed and then uninstalled and the tech guy told me hes never heard of an installation causing a problem like this and that very little information even goes into the registry. So I dont know. I bet this is one of those problems, that when finally figured out, you wont believe it was so easy. LOL

Dwayne

Old 01-29-04, 11:22 AM
tae
Run the command sfc /scannnow with the Installation W2K CD. It will replace corrupted files, however it does not display a report.

If that does not work, boot off your W2K CD and run repair, Fast repair. To do that, you will need to change the booting order of your computer. When you start up your computer, press the Delete key (sometimes it is F2 or F5) and a BIOS screen will appear. There you will be able to change the booting sequence to CDROM being first. Save and reboot. Watch closely as "Boot from CDROM" will come up quickly and allow you no more than 5 seconds to "Hit the key to Boot from CDROM". When you hit a key it will boot from the Win2k CD. The CD will load files which takes a minute or two. Then, choices appear as Install, Repair etc. Choose Repair. It will ask you for Manual or Fast. Try the fast one 1st and if that didn't work try the 2nd one.
2nd one,,,Reboot with win2k cd select install it will ask you if you want to try to repair the win2k you have on the machine select YES....Note: It will NOT overwrite you data files just put down new OS systems files.. When it is finished, while rebooting, change the sequence back to the original one, save and proceed. It should work. By the way, the "sfc /scannow" and the "repair" options are recommended by MS.

Old 01-29-04, 12:11 PM
LearningMan
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I will try the scans first like you said.

If I end up doing the installing of the system files again, even though the data files will be ok, does that mean that I will have to go and reinstall all the service packs and security updates again???

I will post again later tonight or after I get home from work and give these options a try. Thanks

Dwayne

Old 01-29-04, 01:38 PM
tae
Possibly. just go back to Windows update and let it scan your software. It will prompt you for any new updates if the repairs you have done restore original files.