Startup programs

Old 01-30-04, 10:04 AM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
Startup programs

Under Startup I am having trouble turning off these off. I uncheck the the box put they keep coming on. They are;

Quickself

Microsoft works calender reminders

tkbell.exe

can anyone help?

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-04, 11:05 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old 01-30-04, 01:30 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
I make it a practice never to use msconfig to stop programs loading it causes memory leaks apparently Qshelf is the library thing in quick books and can be stopped from loading in its interface.
Same thing with calender go to microsoft works program and find the option for program/calender to load with windows and uncheck it.
TKBell is some schedualer for real networks real(bad) one player. this program would surprise me if it gives you any control but may be in it's options to switch off.

Old 01-30-04, 04:24 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
Thank You

Thanks

Old 01-31-04, 11:11 AM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
I tryed to turn off quickself in bookself put it would not let me. I do not use bookshelf can I delete it would that hurt?

Old 01-31-04, 11:15 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rather than delete a file, it is better to uninstall it. See Add/Remove programs.

Old 01-31-04, 12:21 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
mine works fine without bookshelf yes uninstall not delete

Old 01-31-04, 04:52 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
I only surf the web and email is there other programs I could delete that I do not need I have windows 98?

Old 02-01-04, 04:50 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
I'm not being nosey but are you trying to conserve disc space (space needed to hold programs,data etc) or are you trying to free up resourses (use of ram) to improve performance? I ask because its 2 different things.

Old 02-01-04, 09:04 AM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
I am trying to free up resourses. I do not use many of the programs to surf or emal do you know which ones I could delete safely from windows 98?

Old 02-01-04, 12:55 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
OK well a program just being installed does not per se effect performance, when it runs it uses resources. Simply closing the program does not nessesarily free up the used resourses.
1) Except for your virus scanner open any program icon next to the clock, in the window find options/settings and unchech any box relating to load with windows.
2) Click start/programs/startup delete any shortcuts in there.
3) Right click your desktop and select properties. set screen saver to 'none'
also under display lower your color settings and background should be set to plain color not a fancy picture.
4) have at least 128mg of ram installed
5) go to start/programs/accessories/system tools and run disc cleanup, scan disc and defrag regularily at least twice a month
There are many processes starting up with windows that you see in msconfig but aside from the things mentioned stopping these either manually thru msconfig/regedits and startup managers gain very very minimal improvements. Not noticeable at all.
If you cant find options to turn off taskbar programs post back