Monitor screen "scratches"??....

Old 01-31-04, 05:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Monitor screen "scratches"??....

I got a used Sony 17" CRT model #CPD-200ES computer monitor from a friend...it works fine, but there appears to be some sort of "scratch-like" marks across the surface of the screen....the screen is clean and smooth, but these marks are there...this particular monitor appears to have a "deep" glass covering the screen ...I was wondering if this is what looks "scratched" and not the actual glass on the monitor screen itself...Anyway, it's a cosmetic thing, but was just wondering if my description makes sense and if anyone knows what this is and if this is repairable or not... Thanks to all who reply...

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-04, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is hard to diagnose the problem without actually being in front of it, but I have a top-of-the-line sony (dell branded) 19" from 3 years ago which is wonderful, but it is very difficult/impossible to remove some markings from the glass. From people touching it over the past three years, it has gotten some irredescent dots/spots, and oil-based marks do not come off easy.
The best universal "safe" moniter cleaning method I have read and tried is a soft cotton ball with rubbing alcohol, excess sqeezed out. Wipe it once, turn the cotton ball over and wipe a second time to get 'dirt streaks' out.

On some trinitron models, there are typically two fine horizontal lines on the moniter, behind the glass. They are hair-thin wires I recall, that have a purpose, which has some benefit somehow technologically.

For others reading this, I have had sucess on LCD displays too, but please consult your owners manual first, before cleaning.

gj