Any one here ever heard of Folding?

Old 02-03-04, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

About Folding@home
PANDE GROUP, CHEMISTRY DEPARTMENT, STANFORD UNIVERSITY
The Pande group works on theory and simulations of how proteins, RNA, and nanoscale synthetic polymers fold. We have developed the ensemble dynamics method and its application to protein folding and wrote the client and server code for the Folding@home project.

There goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases

What are proteins and why do they "fold"? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out their biochemical function, they remarkably assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease.

What does Folding@Home do? Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.
How can you help? You can help our project by downloading and running our client software. Our algorithms are designed such that for every computer that joins the project, we get a commensurate increase in simulation speed.

I copyed and pasted this info from this site...http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/

Its a good cause and I have been folding for a week now so far it hasent caused me any problems.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-04, 12:18 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yeah, distributed computing is very interesting.

Anyone interested this page has a ton of info to get you started.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...AR_MSGDBTABLE=