disk maintenance and script errors

Old 02-06-04, 02:16 PM
chip
Visiting Guest
disk maintenance and script errors

I’m a Windows 98 user, my computer is an e-machine 366I, and I have two questions.

1. I did read your posted instructions under the “Forum Note” for running Scandisk. Even after turning off the screensaver and closing all background programs except Explorer and systray I still get the message about restarting more than 10 times. The defragmenter program is also unable to complete its work because one or more programs are running and/or writing to the disk. What can I do to complete the routine housekeeping on my hard drive? I really don’t think I have a problem with fluctuating line voltage in our house, could the IDE controller chip you referred to be getting weak?

2. When visiting certain websites including this one I get the “Internet Explorer Script Error” box and the only way to proceed is to answer “no” to the question, “Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?” What is the problem here?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-04, 04:53 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. You need to restart your computer in Safe Mode - to do that, restart the computer and press F8 after the POST beep (just before the Windows Splash Screen comes up.) Then, just select Safe Mode from the menu. Safe Mode keeps background programs and drivers from loading and interfering.

2. I haven't used strictly IE in a while (mostly wrappers - programs that use the IE engine, but add options), but you should be able to turn off Script Errors in the Advanced Tab of the Internet Explorer Options (in the Tools menu at top.) What you're looking for is something to the effect of "Display a message for all script errors" or something like that.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-04, 01:38 PM
chip
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Brandon,
I can't thank you enough. Working from Safe Mode allowed me to run Scan Disk and the defragmenter program without a hitch. I haven't been able to stop the "Script Error" box however. I subscribe to Juno Web and as you said they use IE to display the web pages. I clicked on "Web Preferences" and went to the advanced options. The choice: "Display notification about script error" was not checked so I left that as-is. I tried checking the box: "Disable script debugging" but that did not make a difference. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks again for your expertise.

Old 02-07-04, 10:09 PM
T
Did you reboot the system after making the changes?

Old 02-08-04, 01:43 AM
chip
Visiting Guest
yes

Old 02-08-04, 07:07 AM
C
Script errors on the web pages are usually indicative of bad code on the page. If your program versions are current, ignoring the errors and clicking on through them is probably the best course of action until the page is re-written.