can't reinstall win98 after formatting of HD

Old 02-10-04, 10:00 PM
12zee
Visiting Guest
can't reinstall win98 after formatting of HD

Please help!
I formatted my HD after making a boot disk(floppy). Later I used the boot disk to start the computer and used Recovery CD (win98) that came with original purhase of PC. Computer boots ok and gives me DOS prompt. I go to the CD drive and am able to see all the WIN98 system files and setup.exe files. Problem comes after all this when I type E: setup and enter to run the installation of win98. I get an error message saying "this program can not be run in DOS". What should I do to install the WIN98 from recovery CD that originally came with the computer.

Thank you.
Shan

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-04, 03:25 AM
Graz
Visiting Guest
Have you tried booting from the CD by chance?

In the BIOS change your 1st boot to CD-Rom.

Old 02-11-04, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As Graz stated, the CD is bootable. Also you need to make sure that what you have is actually a Windows 98 installation cd. What does it look like? What is written on it? If you browse the cd there should be a Win98 directory with a bunch of .CAB files in it, there should be a setup.exe on the root of the cd and one in the Win98 directory as well, both of these should start the install process.

Old 02-11-04, 02:13 PM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
Recovery Cd's

Are mostly Drive images rather than OS installers!!! Just set to boot first from CD in Bios!!!And it should load the whole drive as it came from the factory!!!

Dont need a boot floppy!!!

Old 02-11-04, 07:34 PM
12zee
Visiting Guest
my CD says "Restore CD" ( Bootable CD)

Thank you all for your replies.

I have Restore CD (Bootable CD) that came with the PC. It does have win98 directory with all the .cab files.
It also has the following folders:
setup.exe
Directx
Drivers
Software
Tools
Bootcat.bin
Cabs.img
OsBoot.img
Other.img
Program.img
Winother.img
Winsys.img

When I start the computer it always looks for boot file in CD-rom drive and then floppy drive. I tried to start the computer with the Restore CD only, but it can never find the bootfile. at this point it goes to floppy drive and when I put the floppy startup disk it recognizes it and boots the computer to the DOS prompt. When at that DOS prompt I type E:/Setup (E is my cd-rom drive) to initiate the installation [process of Win98, but I get the error message saying that"this program can't be run in DOS". I don't know why this message means since I am already at the DOS prompt to begin with.
Could it mean that my restore CD needs a different version of DOS??
Please response.
Thanks.

Old 02-11-04, 08:03 PM
C
Try E:/setup.exe

Old 02-11-04, 09:47 PM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
MR 12zee

* Edit - Use the forums *

Last edited by SafeWatch; 02-11-04 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-12-04, 04:48 AM
Well, it is a bootable CD, the bootcat.bin file gives that away. Do you have more than one CD drive in the machine? If so try to boot from the other one, what brand is the PC?

Old 02-12-04, 05:56 AM
tae
setup.exe is a folder? what is inside it?

Old 02-12-04, 06:34 PM
I think imjerry is right on here. A "recovery cd" is not a os. Get a copy of win98SE and it will take right off. You cannot format and expect a recovery cd to restore...since there is no os to restore...am I getting redundant???

Old 02-12-04, 07:04 PM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
OK

Being that he had a License I was going to send him a Copy of WIN 98 SE on CD to use, But because this had some negative connotations I asked for a PM or Email, but My post was edited!! Hey I don't care!! I have no secrets, my PM and Email; are right up front Jerry

Old 02-12-04, 08:37 PM
I ran into this problem with my restore CD after formatting the drive.

I reformatted using fdisk. After that I discovered that I didn't have the system files copied over to the hard drive from the boot floppy via: c: /sys

If for some reason this doesn't work, but windows appears to install but won't run then that means the master boot record was formatted off, too.

This can be repaired by using the command:

fdisk /mbr

After that my restore disk worked perfectly and I didn't need a boot floppy to make it work.

This is the order that I learned to follow (okay, okay, this has happened to me more than once ):

First check on the sys files being copied (you should see x files copied if succesful), if that doesn't actually allow windows to install then do the

fdisk /mbr

reboot the system with boot floppy still in, the at the prompt type:

format c: /sys

Windows should install from the restore disk without the aid of the boot floppy.

Kay

Old 02-12-04, 08:56 PM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
WOW

I am truly impressed with your knowledge!! I just thought the CD would be easier for him, but thank you for the well thought out explanation !!!! Jerry

Old 02-12-04, 09:14 PM
Why thank you! It comes from experience

I ran into this problem when I tried to remove Linux from a drive and reinstall windows. Then I ended up doing the same silly thing to my laptop trying to get a clean install of Windows on it.

With the guys help here on DIY and through researching exactly what all the fdisk commands can do to a drive I discovered how to fix my 'doings'

I discovered through those travels that without a mbr and /sys files a cd won't act bootable since the correct sys files and drivers won't load for it. Without the mbr windows won't have a registry so it remains clueless as what it is to do.

Now if I could just get the hang of XP I'll be happy. No, I'll get bored and want to goof around with something else LOL!

Kay

Old 02-13-04, 04:43 AM
A couple of things to comment on.

1. "A restore CD is not an OS" - although it may not be set up the same as a Microsoft CD, a restore CD does contain the OS that was preloaded on the machine and it's job is to reinstall that OS to the hard drive.

2.If you have to perform a drive sys before or after running a restore than the restore is not working correctly, they are designed so the average Joe can use them.

Jerry, unless you had the exact same version of Win98 SE that the poster had his product key would not work. What I mean is that his license is very likely for an OEM full version, if you sent him a copy of anything other than that, like an upgrade version or a full retail version like you'd get at Wal-mart, it wouldn't work, also I believe you'd be in violation of the license agreement by making a copy of the CD for use by someone other than yourself, even though you aren't sharing the product key, this is probably why your post was edited.
Also, although installing 98 this way should get the OS onto his machine, it only partially solves the problem. It's likely that drivers for video, audio, modem, NIC, and other hardware will need to be installed to get these devices to function, it is also likely that he won't be able to get these drivers from the restore CD (he didn't say what brand PC he has so I don't know for sure). If he can't he would have to download them from the net which would be impossible because his modem would likely not be working.

Last edited by Davejb; 02-13-04 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-13-04, 05:15 AM
You can get another copy of Win98 from Microsoft. You have to have proof of purchase. This is done easily if you have your receipt for the computer, the card from MS (proof of authenticity - Windows) and even easier if you've registered the purchase.

If we can get 12zee's hard disk formated correctly, the restore disk should install Windows and there will be no need for getting another copy of Windows.

I discovered that I can restore from the Dell disk to the eMachines computer, but not the other way around. If I put the Dell copy on the eMachine, it becomes unstable very quickly.

Kay

Old 02-13-04, 05:25 AM
His machine likely has an OEM version of windows included with it. Microsoft provides no support for this nor will they replace or provide a replacement CD. Support for the OS is provided by the manufacturer of the PC only, and they are not obligated to provide an actual Windows CD.
Also, assuming that getting his hard drive formatted will solve the problem is not a good idea. By the looks of the data that is on his CD, it uses some type of imaging tool to uncompress the compressed data, restore CD's that uses this method usually wipe the partition before they start anyway, so a format will get him nowhere, but without knowing the make of the machine we can only speculate.

Old 02-13-04, 05:45 AM
The only reason I said that you could get a copy from MS is because I contacted MS about getting a replacement disk for my SIL computer. Its an eMachine. They said that we would have to have the validation card (not just the number) and receipts for the system. Then they would work with eMachine on getting another restore disk for the system. They didn't keep any papers on the computer so they're out of luck.

This was several years ago, so it may not hold true today. I simply burned a copy of the win98 files on their computer (the copy of the restore disk that is on these machines) and told them to never format their drive with using this disk since I didn't know if we could reinstall the whole operating system as a clean install with the disk I burned for them. We did test a reinstall with it and it worked, but never a format and install.

Kay