Outlook/Outlook Express

Old 02-12-04, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outlook/Outlook Express

How is Outlook different than Express? I'm sure it has more features, but I'm wondering just how different.

I have a couple of things I like in email programs. One that I can filter messages into appropriate folders, and two that I can thread those messages.

I don't like Outlook express because I can't thread messages.

Is it by chance (Outlook) like Evolution in Linux?

Thanks,

Kay

Ps. I tried Eudora but can't figure it out.

K.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-04, 07:18 AM
Outlook is great. It is a great piece of software.

* Edited - Unnecessary, Off-Topic, the usual *

Last edited by SafeWatch; 02-12-04 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-12-04, 07:30 AM
I dont like Outlook Express, never have in all the years that I've owned a computer and had email.

I'm currently using Mozilla's Thunderbird as my mail program. It run better now that I'm using XP, but still have some glitches that bother me.

Eudora looked great, but I end up getting lost in all the windows that you have to use in the program. I try locking them, but somehow get things all messed up.

I'll check more into Outlook and see what I can find other than generic info.

Kay

Old 02-12-04, 07:57 AM
Outlook Express is perfectly fine for those of us with minimal needs. I've been using it since it was beta. I get maybe 5-10 emails per day and read newsgroups on a regular basis so it's perfect for my needs. Outlook is extreme overkill for my needs and has just as many problems as Express does, if not more due to it's bloated design. It's personal preference really, use what works for you.

Old 02-12-04, 08:35 AM
Well, when I saw the price tag that goes along with the Office pkg I will have to use what I've got LOL.

I just want to be able to thread messages, and having a planner handy like that would be nice but not necessary.

I think I'll stick with my freebie Thunderbird email program.

Kay

Old 02-12-04, 09:48 AM
tae
To learn alot more about outlook express, go here:
http://email.about.com/cs/outlookexpress/

All about email and several different products with tips/tricks:
http://email.about.com/

Old 02-13-04, 03:03 PM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
Anybody Wants

Probably the Greatest E Mail program, now freeware but was sold by NEC Computer!! It is called Calypso and has some of the greatest features, used it for years!! Works well with XP, and Ability to back up emails!! I back up once a month to a CDRW, and I have 2 years of Emails I can go back to!!! Also puts individual E Mail Accts on your desktop as Icons!! Handles POP and IMAC !! Any body want a freeware copy and has an FTP to upload too, just ask Jerry

When it was sold before NEC abandoned it it was 49.00

Old 02-13-04, 08:22 PM
I just downloaded and installed Calypso. I can't find where it will thread messages. I am a member of several groups and it makes it easier to follow the messages when they are threaded by subject not just organzied by sender etc.

I'm also having trouble figuring out the filtering of the messages. I'll have to study on this a bit more, but if it doesn't thread messages then I won't use it.

Looks neat though.

Kay

Old 02-14-04, 03:51 AM
Kaybyrd,

Outlook and Evolution are almost identical in look, feel and function. I don't know about threaded messages though. I need to boot in to windows to do some video editing, I'll check to see if that is an option.

Just curious, why are you going, IMO backwards, Linux -> Windows?

Old 02-14-04, 04:19 AM
I just checked Outlook for threading. It has a function called "group by" where you can group messages by subject, sender, reciever, size, etc under the same tree. I think this is what you are looking for?

Old 02-14-04, 06:39 AM
Does this feature work in Outlook express? Outlook comes with the Office Pkg and I can't afford to pop $300 for software. Especially when its just a feature in an email program that I'm seeking LOL.

Oh, I run one silly piece of software for my business that runs on Windows. I tried to run it on my laptop but the laptop is too unstable and I don't trust it with that info.

I went and bought a new machine last week for my business and it has XP on it so I'm goofing around with it (XP) right now. Linux is still on the other system that I put in the bedroom for my husband to game with.

Kay

Old 02-15-04, 05:03 PM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
Eudora 6030

It threads and is free with Advertising!!! Download it, I think you will like it!!! Jerry

Old 02-15-04, 06:44 PM
I tried Eudora but I don't like the fact that every mailbox I open is in a window. I also have 5 email addies that I have to keep up with so it can get confusing really easily.

I was thinking about Outlook if it were similar to Evolution.

I'll just continue to use Mozilla Thunderbird since it does filter, thread and handles multiple email accounts.

Thanks,

Kay