I have a 35mm Scanner ... or is it a paperweight?

Old 02-13-04, 03:58 PM
I have a 35mm Scanner ... or is it a paperweight?

OK, I have been given a Polaroid Sprintscan 35, model CS-2700 and now I am trying to determine if it was truly a gift ;-) I would like to get it up & running because I have a bunch of black & white film negatives that I would like to digitize.

1. The connectors on the back of the beast are labelled SCSI. Now I have a ~rough~ idea what SCSI is and I'm pretty sure I don't have that capability on my old emachine 600is. What ~do~ I need to have SCSI working? I suspect it is a board that must be added to my machine?

2. The SCSI cable that came with it has a 25 pin connector on one end. Is that OK? ... normal?

3. I managed to squeeze Windows XP Professional on my poor 'lil emachine. Is this a good thing as far as the scanner/anchor goes? (probably not, if my quick glance at the Polaroid site showed anything--there seemed to be a whole page devoted to XP)

4. Is there likely to be a proprietary piece of software that I will need to access the device or can I use something like CorelDraw to do it? (it has TWAIN whateverthehellthatis)

Open for suggestions,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-04, 05:46 PM
You will need a scsi adapter card for your computer in order to be able to use this piece of equipment.

It is an item such as this: http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/pro...ctions+for+PCs

There are brands other than Adaptec, but it one of the better known.

If this machine still has the 32MB of RAM it comes with, you might want to increase that somewhat to help your project along.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-04, 10:37 PM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
SCSI Is Great

But the Card is quite expensive!!!

With Twain drivers almost any Graphics Program will access it!! So now go out and find which is more cost effective, a USB or parralell scanner or the card for that one!! Second do you know for sure it is in operating condition before you purchase a SCSI- PCI card!!!

Pretty Much a toss up, but if it works, that is and was a great scanner!!!

I use a free graphics program called Irfanview!!

Available here : www.irfanview.com

Good Luck Jerry

Old 02-18-04, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by chfite
You will need a scsi adapter card for your computer in order to be able to use this piece of equipment.
You seem to be familiar with my emachine (BTW, did you know they are called 'e' machines because when you tell people you have one, they say "EEEEEEEEE!" ? ;-) Do you know if I need a certain type of card .... PCI for example? I'm not sure what that means but when I put in a new video card, I was told that it would have to be PCI.
It is an item such as this: ...
Yes, I looked around town & found that a new one goes for about $150 .... EEEEEEEEEEEEEE! ;-)
If this machine still has the 32MB of RAM it comes with, you might want to increase that somewhat to help your project along.
One of the first things I did was to bump the RAM up to 256MB. The mouse pointer barely moved with 32MB ;-)
Hope this helps.
Every little bit does :-)

Chris

Old 02-18-04, 04:28 PM
Re: SCSI Is Great

Originally posted by imjerry
But the Card is quite expensive!!!
No foolin'
.... do you know for sure it is in operating condition before you purchase a SCSI- PCI card!!!
That's why I'm asking questions here I'm still not sure if my emachine can handle another card, much less a SCSI card but if there's a chance, I will bug the techies at work--maybe they will loan me one to test it.
Good Luck Jerry
Thanks Jerry

Chris

Old 02-18-04, 04:36 PM
Re: Nice Scanner.

Originally posted by marturo
This Company has the Polaroid Sprintscan 35, model CS-2700 for $1.000 with manuals. They may also be a source for Software or know who has it.
Yes, I think I found the software I need on the Polaroid site & I think it is a free download...mainly because this model is quite old, I think.
Papper weight, no I don't think so :O. However if you really do feel that way, my e-mail is listed
OK Marturo, although technically it is not officially mine to sell just yet. I'll let you know if/when that happens.

Right now, I would just like to get it up & running so I can capture my old B&W negatives before they disappear (I did the film developing & always skimped on the fixer

Thanks for the advice

Chris

Old 08-09-11, 10:17 AM
CS 2700 Paper weight?

Hi Chris,
I know you wrote the thread several years ago but was wondering if you still had the scanner? If so do you still have the original software? I too have a CS 2700 and had to change computers but can find the software. Please advise if you have a copy, the company is no longer supporting it.

Randy_T

Old 08-09-11, 01:08 PM
No, I don't have that scanner anymore. I picked up a cheap model from WalMart to replace it. Did the job.

Thanks anyway for offering the help.

Old 08-09-11, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
OMG a reply to a question on a 7 yr old thread.....gotta be a record!

Old 08-09-11, 03:16 PM
Still, shows good DIY spirit :-) Some of us never give up.

ie. I have a roomful of BETA & VHS machines that could use some TLC ... they make make a comeback! ;-)

Chris

P.S. Thanks again Randy

Old 08-28-11, 07:09 AM
Cs 2700

Hi everybody,

Someone gave me an old CS 2700 too, with cables and drivers, I'll try to make it work with a DB25 to usb adapter. Now, I'll try to transfer the drivers (1.44mb diskette) to test the whole thing. I'll let you know if it's working with windows 7.

Regards,

Alexandre