Hard Drive Space and Deleting files

Old 02-14-04, 05:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hard Drive Space and Deleting files

Problem #1.) I have 2 computers running Win 2000 both have a 18 gb hard drive have the same software installed one has a lot more saved files (6.5 gb used hard drive space). The one with
fewer files has 16.5gb used hard drive space. Can't seem
to find what is taking up so much space. Any ideas as to
what may be taking up space. I do have a directory
$WIN_NT$.~BT, I think came from doing a repair to Win 2000
Is there a way I can tell if I can delete it?

Problem #2.) All of a sudden one of the users when they delete something it doesn't go to the recycle bin. This does not happen on other users. In the
properties box for the recycle bin "Configure drives
independently" is not checked "Use one setting for all
drives" is checked and "Do not move files to the recycle
bin, remove files immediately when deleted" is not
checked. What am I missing?

Thanks
Paul G Allen (no not the same Paul G Allen, Bill Gates friend or the owner of Charter Comm.)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-04, 01:01 AM
The file with the extension .~BT could be renamed and left that way for a few days. If everything runs fine that way you could just delete it. Is it the culprit taking up all the space? It could be a temporary directory that simply was not deleted after an abrupt shudown of the system.

Oftimes, extra files come from programs keeping extra versions of back up files for data, temporary internet files, and installation files that the installed program's installer did not remove. Sometimes, programs intended to be installed system-wide were installed individually by each user and the extra versions take up space unnecessarily.

Old 02-15-04, 07:18 AM
hard drive space

Thanks for your respones
I have thought about renaming it, but was afraid windows would not boot because it is using the directory. I thnk I will try it! It is taking up space but only a couple meg. I checked all the directory and doesn't add up even the temp files. As far as installing programs I am the only one installing programs.

Any ideas why deleting files doesn't go to the recycle bin??

Old 02-15-04, 09:10 AM
tae
You run antivirus program? Spyware? Is there plenty of room on the hard drive?
one has a lot more saved files(6.5 gb used hard drive space). The one with fewer files has 16.5gb used hard drive space.
You said this backwards, right?

When you delete something, do you get a confimation popup? Do you have a large drive, or multiple partitions? If you right click on recycle bin, does it ask if you want to delete these items, even though it shows no items? Try running spyware:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=157468
and maybe deleting some seldom used programs. You can also do a search for files by size.

Old 02-15-04, 09:28 AM
backwards

No it isn't backwards, Thats why I am confused the computer with fewer user files has less space!

When i delete it does show a popup and the icon in the pop up indicates it is not going to the recycle bin. 1 drive 18 gb. If I right click on recycle bin is empty and it does not ask if I want to delete. This only happens on one user and recycle bin properties is not checked to delete without going to the recycle bin.

Old 02-15-04, 09:44 AM
tae
well, its not the number of files, but the size of them. Also besides scanning for spyware, do a thorough scandisk.

Old 02-15-04, 09:51 AM
Space

I will try scandisk
The files on the computer with a lot of space are autocad drawings. The one with little space is no autocad files just some very small exel and word files.

Thanks
Paul A

Old 02-15-04, 03:20 PM
You could try doing a "Find" for *.tmp files on all logical disks. I have found tmp files in very unlikely locations. System32 for example. And some of them can be big. Anything ending in ".tmp" can be safely deleted.

Old 02-17-04, 07:11 AM
Space

I did a find on .tmp and I did find about 13 gb YES GB of .tmp files. They are under C:\winnt\system32\spool\printers and example file name spl4d.tmp30 meg The odd part is a lot of these files are created on days the computer isn't even turned on!!! I had about 20-30 files over this weekend with out the computer on. Not sure where these are coming from. Not sure if AutoCad LT is making these!

Old 02-17-04, 11:51 AM
AutoCAD can automaticall make a back up file (,BAK)
Maybe you cannot see these file because you have it turned off.

Go to My Computer, Select tools>Folder Options. Select the tab View. Look at the File View type settings. You can try this without hurting anything. There are many system files that could be hidden and it may include .BAK files.

Just a thought.

Old 02-17-04, 02:44 PM
From their location in the spool folder, these sound like print/plot spool files created by Autocad when plotting. These SHOULD be deleted by Autocad after a successful print/plot. Check your Autocad setup. You may have a choice to keep or delete spool files. This is because if you want to - say - repeat a large plot at a later time, keeping the spool file saves a lot of time in metafile creation.

.tmp files can safely be deleted providing the app that created them is not running. See here:

http://www.pcin.net/help/articles/throwaway.php

Old 02-17-04, 03:33 PM
tmp files

I did check my autocad and did not see anything for saving these spool files. Like I said not positve but I do think it is AutoCad. I watched as we were printing from AutoCad and it did make one and it did delete it self when done.
What is really strange is the # of files with the created dates during the weekend when the computers are powered down and I am positve no one could being doing it then.

I did delete them, now the drive has 15 GB free when before it had 1.5 gb free

The mstery where and how are the being created
(yes the date is correct on the system)

Old 02-18-04, 05:17 AM
Right mouse on the command line and select Options. Open the tab for Open and Save. The lower left section has options for bakup files. Check this to see if it is saving the .BAK files. They are located int he same directory as the native DWG file you open.

Are the large files you find the same size as the DWG file? They typicallyhave the same name. Mydrawing.bak etc.