Outlook Express question

Old 02-16-04, 09:21 AM
KSP
Visiting Guest
Outlook Express question

I just got this new computer running XP home. I am not able to open any attachments in my mail program. Also, whenever I send an attachment (like pictures) to others via e-mail, my sent attachments are unable to be opened by them.
I have even tried to send myself something and get the same thing as if someone else sent it to me.
I don't even see where the attachment/file is in order to open it.
I do get a message about OE not allowing file type due to protection, blah blah blah.
Is this something to do with McAfee? I am using the free 30 day trial version that cam ewith the computer.
Any advice?
Susi

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-04, 09:26 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Several suggestions.

1) Do not send files in any format except as zipped ('.zip') files. Microsoft is trying to close security holes and blocks many files types in their email programs to prevent the spread of viruses, worms and trojan horses

2) Do not use Outlook Express. It is poorly written and dangerous software. Use Outlook or some other email program, almost any other email program, instead of Outlook Express.

Old 02-16-04, 10:20 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OE may not be the best e-mail program on the market, but if it's suitable for you, then use it.

To get attachments working, you need to go to the Tools menu, then click Options, click the Security tab and uncheck the "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus." option.

<font color=red>NOTE: Be very careful with attachments - many (especially these days) can be very harmful to your computer. Only open attachments that you are A) expecting and B) from people you know (just being from someone you know is NOT enough.) Make sure active scanning and full protection for McAfee is enabled - and keep it up to date.</font>

Good luck!

Old 02-16-04, 10:22 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
uh huh
In outlook express go to tools/options and in the security tab uncheck 'do not allow attachments to be saved or opened'. The next time you recieve an attachment you will still get the warning that attachments may contain viruses.
I'm sure your already aware that you shouldnt open attachents from people you dont know and that viruses will spread from computers thru the address book making youthink that its from someone you know. Outlook express is the most popular so the incidents of virus spread is naturally higher. Using an obscure email program or a lesser used one is no substitute for knowlegeable precaution.