Windows delayed write error

Old 02-22-04, 01:57 PM
Tpring
Visiting Guest
Windows delayed write error

I am getting the above error message telling me that data is not being saved to two differrent files: one is a ???.$ec file and the other is a CIM.??? file and then says it has to do with either my harddrive or the network connection. Also, when I boot up, CHKDSK engages, tells me there may be HD inconsistancies, goes through about half of its checking sequence [one and a half out of three checks] and then Windows loads.

I am running W2k Pro on a Compaq 233mhz 3GB/96RAM laptop.

As of this morning, my Norton AV won't engage and I am not able to get on the internet [I can ping my router].

I am thinking it is necessary to erase my HD, but if so, how do I do that to ensure I get a good HD to reload everything. [I am considering re-installing W98, too.]

Does anyone have any thoughts or insights into these symptoms?

Thanks,

Old 02-22-04, 04:52 PM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
The first thing you need to do is confirm that your hard drive is physically ok, to do this you need to find out what brand drive you have and go to their website and download and run their diagnostic program.

Old 02-22-04, 05:30 PM
tae
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1.Check to make sure you have the latest service packs and updates.

2.check the drive for errors:
Open Windows Explorer.
Right-click the drive you want to check, and select Properties from the context menu.
Select the Tools tab.
Under Error Checking, click Check Now.
If you want the scan to automatically attempt to make repairs or check the disk for bad sectors, select those options and click Start.

3.boot to safe mode and scan for virus's.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: