Cant boot machine?

Old 02-22-04, 07:42 PM
Disciple
Visiting Guest
Cant boot machine?

I cant get this gateway machine working. I am trying to fix it up for a friend. The machine developed major system file damage when this guy tried to uninstall windows by deleting it from within itself. After that incident we can’t get into the bios. When I Press F1 to enter bios it freezes with the following message at the bottom of the screen: “preparing to run system start up”. Does anyone know what is going on? Also if I don't press F1 it freezes at the gateway splash screen with a message down the bottom saying "Press TAB to see message details". When I press TAB nothing happens?
Thanks for your help…

Old 02-22-04, 08:03 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is a time for the venerable Window 98 boot disk to get the machine up and reinstall the operating system. There may be system restore or system recovery CDs for the machine. You can use the Windows 98 boot disk to start the machine with CD ROM support and restore the system if you have the restore CDs.

You can use the Windows 98 boot disk to manage the hard drive.

If the bios is shot somehow, pulling the CMOS jumper to reset the CMOS for the BIOS may be the only way to get it to boot properly. Try booting with the Windows 98 boot disk first.

You can try from the DOS prompt, a:> sys c: to transfer the operating system to the hard drive again from the Windows 98 boot disk.

Here is a link to DOS commands, if you are interested.

http://www.computerhope.com/syshlp.htm

Post what you have in the way of restore CDs and such and see if we can come up with a way to get the machine running again.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-04, 08:24 AM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
Another way you may

Like to try
Get a copy of Ontrack data erasure and boot with it in the A drive and run diagnostics, >write zero's to drive, about 20 gigs an hour to do.

Then got to www.bootdisk.com and get a set of bootdisks for the OS you want to install.

That should do it Jerry

A note, all data on the HD will be lost, be ADVISED of this fact .

Old 03-02-04, 12:56 AM
Disciple
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys for your help, I managed to get it up and running with a fresh install of 98, the OS was shot so I needed to do a full format.

thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: