Pop-up Ads

Old 02-25-04, 10:07 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pop-up Ads

When I get on internet explorer the same pop-ups will come on time and again such as (3rd party advertisement,search-party.com) those are the ones I notice the most but there are probably more.Needless to say this reallys slows my computer down and time consuming and sometimes they'll freeze my computer up and have to shutdown. Its like they're embedded in my system is there any way to delete them?

Old 02-25-04, 10:49 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
you need to run msconfig, look for services, and shut down your 'windows messenger'

someone else here can explain better, i'm only a paperhanger

Old 02-25-04, 11:48 AM
slider
Visiting Guest
I have been very happy with the free version of Popup Stopper from panicware. You have to hold down the CTRL key if you want a popup to open, otherwise it blocks them. Sometimes it interferes with sites I want to use but it's easy to turn on/off for those times. The hassle is far less than closing all those dang ads. Their site is www.panicware.com

Old 02-25-04, 11:54 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You also need to be running regular maintainance - such as:
AdAware from LavaSoft
SpyBot S&D
ScanDisk
Defrag

And, always run and update your Anti-Virus. AVG is an excellent FREE anti-virus program.

Take a look at the Free Programs thread for other great programs for maintaining your computer.

Old 02-25-04, 03:34 PM
B
Netscape 7.1 and Mozilla Firefox browsers have popup stoppers. I prefer them over IE.

Old 02-25-04, 05:53 PM
P
Angry Pop-ups

Speaking of pop-ups every time I come to this form I get a pop up ad!!

Old 02-25-04, 05:57 PM
R
Just ignore the pop up ads. If everyone did that then web sites would stop using them.

Old 02-25-04, 06:01 PM
P
pop ups

Tried that Still there!!!!!

Old 02-25-04, 07:31 PM
S
Speaking of pop-ups every time I come to this form I get a pop up ad!!
You may need to enable cookies for this site - they use a timed cookie to display the RD pop-up. I forget the expiration time on it now, but I think it's around a week or so. You shouldn't see the pop-up every time you visit the site, just every now and then.

Old 02-25-04, 08:50 PM
tae
If you run any kind of "washer/cleaner" , then it will remove all cookies and you will get a pop-up everytime. If you do, you may be able to have it ignore this sites cookie.

Old 03-10-04, 12:52 PM
scout3
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up NO MORE POP-UPS!...

What has helped me with the pop-ups was a file called "Hosts" that you copy into your "Windows" file on your hard drive...and no more pop-ups since last year!
You dont have to run a program, it is just a word file that your browser will check when connecting to a page and you can add web addresses to it that you want to block from your computer.

The only downfall is that you sometimes have to copy and paste web addresses into your browser rather than clicking directly on a link after a "search" to get around an initial ad page.

But here is the webpage and they can explain it even better.

http://accs-net.com/hosts/index.html

Claudia

Old 03-10-04, 03:40 PM
S
Using the HOSTS file is a common technique used by many name-brand titles for blocking not only pop-ups, but also ad banners and many other banners.

There are a few draw-backs to using the HOSTS file this way:
1) Many pages will not display properly, or be broken up, because the banners or titles on the page come from outside ad sites (a small compromise) - typically they will show the "page not found" or X for image not found dialog
2) You have to manually add the addresses to the file - unless you can find a list online, this can be a long process
3) Many times pop-ups will still come up, they just won't have any content
4) When the ad sites change their address (which they frequently do), if the address is not in your HOSTS file, it won't be blocked

The best method is to just use a pop-up blocker or ad stopper. Pop-up blocker stop pop-ups by catching them in the web's script (usually Java) or by closing the pop-ups automatically.

Old 03-10-04, 06:29 PM
R
I had to factory restore my computer it got so bad I couldn't do nothing with it. Thanks to this site I determined it was probably a spyware problem. The first thing I did when I got it back up was download ADAWARE and SPYBOT and haven't had the problem since.Thank God there are free progams out there like that because they are certainly needed in this day and age!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: