Homepage Sizing?

Old 02-28-04, 08:28 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Homepage Sizing?

I recently changed the screen area (under settings) on my computer from 800/600 pixels to 1024/768 pixels... I like the smaller desktop icons and the crisper details when surfing the 'net..however, certain Web pages (including my homepage, CNN.com) do not "cover" the whole screen...the entire page is there, but there is a blank column or area to the right of the page...some pages DO cover the entire screen, for example PCWorld's homepage...Is there a setting or adjustment for the pages that do not use the whole screen, or do I just have to live w/the ones that don't? This is just a cosmetic thing...

P.S. DIY's site pages DO cover the whole screen!

I am using a Gateway 700c Essential comp., Celeron Processor, 40 gb harddrive, and Sony Trinitron Multiscan 200ES monitor...

Thanks to all who reply,
Matt

Old 02-28-04, 09:32 AM
This has happened to me as well. I figured out that alot of websites are built on the standard of 800/600. This is because most people use that display setting. So that means that some websites have not been designed for the 1024/768. Its not on your end. Its on there end. There is nothing wrong with your computer. I would not wory about it. I sure don't LOL

Old 02-28-04, 10:01 AM
S
Thanks for the reply, Term20...

Old 02-28-04, 01:27 PM
threesheds
Visiting Guest
It depends on whether the tables or sections that go make the page up are stated in pixels or as a percentage of the screen size.

If if they are in pixels you get the gaps when high screen resolutions are used. If the tables are told to be a percentage of the total screen width then they expand and contract to fit any resolution.

Old 02-28-04, 01:30 PM
S
interesting...

Old 02-28-04, 04:12 PM
tae
Difference between diy and cnn (from their html coding)
DIY=width="100%"

CNN=table width="770"

DIY is a percentage, no matter the screen, it will be 100%.
CNN is a set value. If you are smaller, it will cover the whole screen and more, bigger, and there is a blank area.

Old 02-28-04, 06:03 PM
S
So I guess I write CNN and tell them what I need...or, find another homepage...I want a national/local oriented news page for my homepage...Looked at lots today, but most seem to use the 800/600 format....

Old 02-28-04, 10:51 PM
threesheds
Visiting Guest
Sometimes the page design means that the tables have to be pixels rather than percentage.

Many sites build graphics into their page. That's why some look really good with rounded corners, smooth drop-shadowed curves etc. Some graphics might go the whole width of the overall design.

Graphics are a fixed in pixel size so the tables they fit into need to remain a fixed pixel size also.

If the tables were allowed to resize, the whole appearance of the site might go amiss. The tables could resize OK but the incorporated graphics cannot resize along with them. They would end up being the wrong size to fit the the expanded or contracted display.

Old 02-29-04, 11:42 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Graphics are a fixed in pixel size so the tables they fit into need to remain a fixed pixel size also.
Ah, but that's not always the case - for instance, if you use a picture as a background for a table header, the size can and does change according to the table's size.

But, I know what you mean. For graphics (like the DIY.com logo) that you want to remain static, you use static settings instead of percentages.

Old 02-29-04, 12:01 PM
S
Thanks to all for the info...it's becoming a bit more tech as we go, but it's very interesting to read and learn...Still looking for a 1024/768 news site for a homepage, though..!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: