System Restore???

Old 02-29-04, 03:29 PM
Dave_Roberts
Visiting Guest
System Restore???

Hi Everyone, Me again,

I`ve tried my System Restore. I would just like to know that when you use your System Restore, does it take up more space on your hard drive? Last week I Defraged my computer and I was only at about 30% used! I tried the System Restore twice this last week and it really didn`t help me. Anyway, I went to defrag my computer last night and it was at 50% used! I haven`t downloaded anything new or installed anything for that matter. The only thing that I can think of is "System Restore"! If this is what is taking up space, does it ever release (Delete) the information that I am not gonna use? I hope I said all that right!!!

Thank-You, Dave

P.S. I have Windows XP Home Edition

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-04, 04:30 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
system restore will use up to 12% of available free space on hard drive. I dont think it would account for a 20%increase you mentioned. But i'm no mathematician (or spelling bee champ) It purges itself every ninety days of exess points and you can specify how old a restore point to archive thru add/remove or disc cleanup (though I have never tried) or you can purge all of them by turning off system restore-If you've been having ANY problems at all I dont suggest you do that!

Old 02-29-04, 04:45 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good page on system restore:
http://cfscapecod.com/using_system_restore.htm

To change the alloted space it uses:
In WinXp, click Start, right click My Computer and choose Properties. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab. Move the slider button to the right or left to adjust the maximum size of the data store. If you have more than one drive, look under Available Drives, click the drive whose data store you wish to alter, and click the Settings button.
Mine uses from 0% to 12% of drive space. You can also turn it off.