new power supply wont boot system

Old 02-29-04, 08:34 PM
93drip
Visiting Guest
new power supply wont boot system

I have ben doing some upgrades to my system. I started with the power supply to help with a bigger cpu and mobo. plus all the other components I'm running. Problem is that when I hooked it up, it wouldn't boot up my system. Things seemed to be getting power my case fans all turned on along with my cdrom's but all I got was a blank screen. Tried everything and finally put my old supply back in and everythign booted fine. The power supply is a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480w supply.
My old power supply is a generic 350w supply about 6 years old.
The only thing I have upgraded so far is my case and power supply. So my configuration hasn't changed. I have an AMD Athlon 900 with an Abit mobo. 32 meg apg g force 2 graphics card and diamond sound card. 2 Maxtor hardrives, a cdrom and a cdrw drive. I'm wondering if maybe I just got a bad supply. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks

Old 02-29-04, 08:45 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If everything was plugged in as it was supposed to be and you got a blank screen, I would consider that the supply was bad. If you have a VTVM or VOM you could check for 12 volts from black to yellow on the power connector to the hard drive, 5 volts from red to black.

Otherwise, return it and swap it for another.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: