Uh,oh!!!!

Old 03-02-04, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Uh,oh!!!!

I'm getting bombarded with some kind of virus being sent thru my e-mail address.
yesterday i got the first one,and today i got 2 more. scanned with my virus protection and the results were,"will not open, virus present." i immediately deleted the e-mail and did a virus scan
with Norton and avantage. nothing showed up.
I have,supposesidely,the e-mail addresses that showed in the e-mail address window.
I hope i did the right thing in deleting this junk,as i read this forum on taking precautions. i guess someone or something has my e-mail address and is trying to "get me".
i need some advice on how to handle this stuff. i'm new to all this and am very concerned.
HELP!!!!!Please

Old 03-02-04, 02:14 PM
R
Do not assume that someone is trying to get you.

Most viruses that are spread via email are spread without the sender's knowledge. In fact, they may not even have been sent from the person they appear to have been sent from.

Many viruses are written to either send infected emails to everyone listed in the infected computer's email address book and/or to any email address they can find on the infected user's computer, finding email addresses in documents, cached web pages, saved emails and many other places.

Further, some viruses disguise the emails they send to look like they came from somewhere/someone else, to make them harder to trace.

All that you for sure is that someone has a virus infecting their PC and that your email address most likely came from somewhere on that user's PC.

Did you happen to note the name of the virus? Most anti-virus programs will tell you the name of the virus they found in the infected email. You can then go to any of several different web sites and find out exactly what the virus does to infected PCs, how it transmits itself, and much more. I recommend that everyone do this for at least the first few viruses they receive, as the information presented to you will help you avoid infecting your own computer, and it may yield some clues as to where the virus came from or how it got to your email inbox.

Old 03-02-04, 03:32 PM
B
Never open any suspicious looking e-mails or attachments.

You should also download adaware and spybot search and destroy. They will find any spyware on your pc. They are free. Do not run them at the same time. LOL

Old 03-02-04, 04:13 PM
Thanks RACRAFT AND BRUISER for your replies.

This is what the virus scan blocked : W32.NETSKY.D@MM
The message was the same,"here is the document you requested".
The e-mails had different senders names and addresses each time .

Old 03-02-04, 04:51 PM
B
I've gotten several e-mails that have something like you said you got. "Here is the info you wanted", "Here is the list", "Here is the document". Knowing I hadn't asked for, requested, or wanted anything, I just deleted. I suspected something was wrong.

Be sure to download and run those two spyware programs. You'll probably be surprised at how much stuff is on your pc that you don't know about.

Old 03-02-04, 05:04 PM
Hi Bruiser,

thanks again. i just got off SYMANTIC web site. they are
swamped with this thing. they say its a worm and can get into anybodys system. they have a fix tool that just came out.
i'm going to download it and keep my fingers crossed.
Yes,i do have the spybot and adware programs. probably what saved me.

Old 03-02-04, 06:04 PM
V
just another bit...

i got today an email from myself also.. contained a zip file called "resume"... yeah i am job hunting but sure as heck didn't send self resume out as a zip file.... be real careful what ya open right now is all i can say. most of the spam you can tell is spam... this one if didn't show as me sending as me would have thought an old coworker since our company closed down recently.

Old 03-03-04, 03:55 AM
Valerie,
thanks for your bit of info. i know you have enough on your mind,without all this junk coming thru from the slease of the world.

will be off line today,but will log on later today and hope i have removed this thing.
Daswede

Old 03-03-04, 04:04 AM
B
if in doubt - delete it

Here's some advice about email:

1) If you don't recognize the sender and are suspicious - delete it
2) If you do know the sender but wasn't expecting anything, delete it.
3) If you aren't sure about deleting - call the sender and ask if they sent you anything
4) If you delete somethng important, don't worry. The sender will make sure you see it.

And yes, NETSKY is running rampant now. You may have noticed a slow down in email delivery lately? Cable and DSL providers are being very cautious about this worm.

Old 03-03-04, 04:12 AM
Thanks BobF. Good advice.

Old 03-03-04, 05:10 AM
R
Originally posted by daswede
Valerie,
thanks for your bit of info. i know you have enough on your mind,without all this junk coming thru from the slease of the world.

will be off line today,but will log on later today and hope i have removed this thing.
Daswede

From your original post, it does not sound like your PC is infected. It sounds like your anti-virus software did it's job and protected your PC.

However, that doesn't mean that you don;'t perhaps have another virus lurking about or that you don;t have spyware of some sort.

Old 03-03-04, 05:17 AM
Hi RACRAFT,
just got off running symantec fix for this. site came back saying my computer was not infected.

This was my first experience at this (newbie).
Thanks again.
daswede

Old 03-03-04, 09:26 AM
B
one more thing,,,,

One more word of warning...

If the subject is something about your email account - DELETE IT!! Don't even think about opening it!! Especially if it has an attachment.

Even if its "from" your ISP or other email provider. This is easy to fake.

If in doubt - call your ISP/email provider.

Old 03-03-04, 09:46 AM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
I use a little Known

Virus program called AVG 7.0, Daily updates used to be about 3 or 4 hundred KB, last few weeks 3 or 4 Megs, so viruses are runnig rampant, So like everybody said Be Careful !!!

Old 03-03-04, 12:20 PM
....much thanks to all......I'm learning this computer stuff can be a treacherous place!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: