Email from Yahoo with virus.

Old 03-04-04, 02:25 PM
rljsmith2001
Visiting Guest
Email from Yahoo with virus.

Has anybody received an email from Yahoo saying that they have a virus in their mailbox? An attachment is there to remove this virus but instead the attachment holds a virus. We received this last night and if it were not for our antivirus we would be infected. We tried to get ahold of Yahoo but after hours of going in circles we gave up. Use your antivirus folks, it works.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-04, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The email is probably not from Yahoo.

Most new viruses appear to be from someone else. Certainly forward the email to them, so they are made aware of it, but don't do much more.

Old 03-04-04, 03:37 PM
tae
the newest bugs are coming as mail from your isp. At least with yahoo, they have a built in scanner, although some of the bugs are compressed in a password protected zip file that cannot be scanned. once unzipped though, your antivirus should catch it.
Always make sure your antivirus is up to date!

Old 03-04-04, 04:16 PM
Received 110 Votes on 100 Posts
I don't even open emails like that. Straight to the trash.

Old 03-04-04, 08:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't even open emails like that. Straight to the trash.
Ditto - as a matter of fact, I use a text-based e-mail program (ePrompter) to check my e-mail first, before opening it in an HTML program. Not that it really matters with attachments, just don't open the attachment, but it's nice to delete spam and ads in text, without downloading any images first.

Old 03-08-04, 01:03 AM
As mentioned above the from email addy can be faked and usually is in most now

Old 03-08-04, 01:11 PM
I can pretty much guarantee you that is was a spoofed address from the MyDoom virus. NEVER open e-mails like that as a matter of policy... Just train yourself by repeating, "I will NEVER open attachments on e-mails unless I know WHO they are from."

Old 03-08-04, 01:20 PM
"I will NEVER open attachments on e-mails unless I know WHO they are from."
Even then, you're not safe - since viruses like to send messages to everyone in your address book, if one of your friends is infected and they send you the virus, then your still in trouble.

Never open an attachment, unless you are expecting it. If you're not sure, call the person who sent it and ask.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-04, 07:44 PM
crossroads545
Visiting Guest
got it

i got the same thing. it said management at yahoo . hadf a virus and caught it. geeez

Old 03-21-04, 10:44 AM
Actually Yahoo had a Warning about this on their main screen last week (I dont see it now) but it mentioned if you get this in your email, that you should forward it to (i think) "[email protected]" Or something along that order! Also, if you want to make sure a website is ligitamite, >>>> Copy and Paste the following into the address bar when on a website to find out if it is a true website and not a spoof! start>>>>> javascript:alert("The actual URL is:\t\t" + location.protocol + "//" + location.hostname + "/" + "\nThe address URL is:\t\t" + location.href + "\n" + "\nIf the server names do not match, this may be a spoof."); <<<<<end Compare the actual URL with the URL in the Address bar. If they do not match, the Web site is likely misrepresenting itself. In this case, you may want to close Internet Explorer.

Old 03-21-04, 10:48 AM
My reply will not completly go into the Thread, can a Moderator tell me why it is being cut off please?

Old 03-21-04, 07:07 PM
tae
what more do you want to add?

Old 03-21-04, 07:54 PM
There was a sentence left out, but i guess it is not that important, i was just wondering why it was cut off, (if it is my pc or your site) is there a limit to replies? I noticed the reply screen is not wide like it use to be!

Old 03-22-04, 12:26 AM
I couldn't get the Java to work for me earlier - it seems to be working now, finally.

Anyway, if you want to take it one step further, make a Favorites in the Links folder and make the shortcut:
[php]javascript:alert("The actual URL is:\t\t" + location.protocol + "//" + location.hostname + "/" + "\nThe address URL is:\t\t" + location.href + "\n" + "\nIf the server names do not match, this may be a spoof.");[/php]
Then call it Spoof Checker or something like that - then just hit the button when you want to check a site. No remembering any Java or looking it up again - it's right there in the Faves for you.

Thanks, TomTom - great trick!

BTW, as for your post getting cut-off - can't imagine why, the limit is 30k characters for posts. Unless it had something to do with the javascript stuff?

Old 03-22-04, 04:04 AM
SafeWatch
Thanks for the extra tip, it is easler to check with your method. BTW, when i reviewed your reply it was nice and wide on the screen, so i will see how mine turns out when i send this to you, will let you know right away

Old 03-22-04, 04:08 AM
My reply here turned out to fit really full on the screen, as a matter of fact, i have to scroll to see it all now! Yesterday it was narrow and cut off some! Do you think it has anything to do with the trouble with the Java, that you had?

Old 03-22-04, 04:10 AM
My last reply above and this one is one very long line now on my pc, its actually too long! But its better than being cut off.