WIN XP hanging up

Old 03-04-04, 09:24 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question WIN XP hanging up

Hi,

I recently bought a new PC with windows XP. This is my first time with windows XP. The first 2 months went fine but in th e past week it has turned into a dog. I try to start applications and they just slowly come up and sometimes hang up. I sometimes have to double click the application 2 - 3 - 4 times to get it going.
I'm not sure which way to turn. I thought maybe a virus. But, my McAfee has been up to date since I've had the PC.

The only thing I have installed is McAfee internet security.

Can this be the cause of my PC turning into a dog? Or is there something else I can check on my PC?

Thanks

Old 03-04-04, 10:39 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Give us some specs on the computer - CPU, RAM, HDD, etc. Have you run AdAware? Spybot? etc.? Scandisk and defrag?

Does it run better when Windows first boots and then gets slugish?

Old 03-04-04, 11:42 PM
tae
Have you booted to safemode and tried it from there?

Old 03-05-04, 02:07 PM
las
Visiting Guest
windows xp

Yes I would like to hear the reply myself?

Old 03-09-04, 07:42 AM
I'll bet the McAfee internet security is the problem. It doesn't get along well with ICF in XP. Try removing that and see if it makes a difference. Or, you could shut off ICF by doing the following:

right click on the "My Network Places" icon
left click properties
right click your Local Area Connection
left click properties
Click the "Advanced" tab
UNCHECK the check box
Click OK

I'd uninstall the McAfee instead, though...

Chris

Old 03-09-04, 11:17 AM
C
ICF, internet connection firewall might be part of it, indeed.

Old 03-09-04, 03:07 PM
D
Sorry for the delayed response. Things got progressively worst after I posted my question.

I'm running XP on 512 ram, 80gb hard drive and Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz. I ran all the diagnostics I could to no avail. I finally gave up on McAfee and uninstalled the firewall, spam killer and privacy service. Everything returned to normal. I later found out from earthlink. My ISP, that their service doesn't work with McAfee's Privacy Service. I don't think it works with the Spam killer either.
I haven't tested it and won't. I'll just stick with the virus scan.
The total package seemed to bog down my entire system.
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Old 03-09-04, 04:07 PM
Anytime, my friend. I have had bad personal experience with McAfee products in the past and avoid them altogether now. I also know of many other horror stories. Personally, I would remove their AV software, too, but that's just MHO. There is a GREAT, FREE AV program available that not too many people know about called "AVG".

You can download it from here. The only thing I've noticed is that one some Win2K systems, it slows down the computer to a crawl. I have only seen this a few times and have never been able to figure out why, but 99% of the time, it's awesome. Much less invasive than Norton or McAfee, and free for life.

HTH,

Chris

Old 03-09-04, 08:10 PM
D
Thanks Chris. I'll give it a try. Luckily I got the McAfee product basically free due to the rebate so its not that big of a deal if I ditch it.

I had only used Norton in the past and never had problems like this with it. So, I was rather surprised when I determined it be the problem.

Thanks again,
Shawn

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: