IMAP/Webmail

Old 03-10-04, 11:53 PM
threesheds
Visiting Guest
IMAP/Webmail

Are there differences between Webmail and IMAP? They seem similar to each other in as much both manage mail at server level and both can be accessed from anywhere. Are there any advantages to one over the other?

Old 03-11-04, 09:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The two are apples and oranges... IMAP is a protocol, and webmail is an e-mail system that CAN use IMAP. What are you trying to do?

Chris

Old 03-11-04, 10:00 AM
threesheds
Visiting Guest
Thanks WorldBuilder. There is no real reason for the question other than just wanting to know. I read about e-mail clients either supporting or not supporting IMAP. When trying to find out what IMAP is all about I thought it seemed similar to webmail in the way it is used. So, just thought I'd ask what the differences are.

Old 03-11-04, 10:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No sweat. Call me Chris. POP3 and IMAP are two protocols for mail systems. The main difference (without getting into technicalities) is that IMAP is far superior, especially when handling MANY accounts, especially from different domains. Webmail is a system similar to Hotmail or Yahoo in that it is web based and accesible from anywhere (although technically speaking, ANY server is accessible from anywhere on Earth). It can handle both POP3 or IMAP.

Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: