I ran out of slots and need a modem to fax??Help please!!

Old 03-11-04, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking I ran out of slots and need a modem to fax??Help please!!

Hi, Thank you anyone for any help or advice. I recently switched to DSL cable Internet. I had to take out my old 56k modem to accommodate a new slot for Motorola external DSL usb port card. Now I can not fax or use my Internet answering machine and phone. I would like to find a way to be able to put back my old 56k modem to fax. I HAVE to have it for work. I also added a second 120 gig harddrive and had to put in a slot card for that. I have a printer (with serial port) and scanner (with usb port) installed that use space but I need them. Is there a way to squeeze in a slot?? Or how can I add the 56-k modem back and still keep the Motorola external DSL modem.
Also the computer is slow since adding the 120-gig harddrive? Is the harddrive too big?? Why is it slower?? I though it might be a little faster with the harddrive.
The computer is e-machine 366. Thanks so much.

Old 03-11-04, 08:29 AM
T
You can get an external USB modem. I find it add that your printer is using the serial port, I would think it would be using the parallel port. That computer you have is not exactly fast (never realy was).

Old 03-11-04, 09:03 AM
I think you are correct in that the printer is a parallel and not a serial.

Thanks Trinito, I think you are correct in that the printer is a parallel and not a serial. I mixed it up. I do think I MIGHT have an extra usb port so I will check into that. Any other tips or advice from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

Trinito, By the way where in Chgo??

Old 03-11-04, 09:41 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure they still make external serial port modems, though you may have to hunt one down.

I'm not familiar with the e-machine line, but most any other IDE controller can handle 4 devices. If you only have 1 hard drive and a cd drive to start with, why did you add another card for the 2cd hard drive? You should have been able to add the drive to the existing controller unless you already had 4 IDE devices.

Put your printer on the printer port if it isn't already, USB printing is no faster than parallel port printing, as the computer can spit out the print info much faster than any printer can print it anyway.

If you're running out of USB spots, you can get a _powered_ USB hub fairly cheap.

Does the e-machine not come with USB ports built in? I can only assume it didn't, if you had to add a USB card to support the USB modem.

My last machine (not an emachine) had 8 built in USB ports.

As for why it's slower, you've add two additional devices (the ide controller and the usb controller), plus the devices connected to them, plus no doubt, you installed the 'software' that came with the dsl modem, which is probably the biggest reason the machine is now slower. You do not need the 'software' your internet service provides (unless you have AOL, blah).

Old 03-11-04, 09:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My other question to you is why you had to add another card just to hook up the new 120GB HDD? Had you run out of IDE connections? I doubt it... You can probably remove that card attaching the HDD and replace it with your old 56k modem... Let me know why you added that HDD card.

Chris

Old 03-11-04, 09:50 AM
D
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by WorldBuilder
My other question to you is why you had to add another card just to hook up the new 120GB HDD? Had you run out of IDE connections? I doubt it... You can probably remove that card attaching the HDD and replace it with your old 56k modem... Let me know why you added that HDD card.

Chris
The reason is very likely that, due to it's age, that machine doesn't natively support a drive that large.

Old 03-11-04, 10:19 AM
So sorry, I forgot to mention I added wireless router and that took a port slot.

Thank you all for the responses. The machine is about 4 years old.

Chris, When I bought the HD the tech at the store said I needed an ultra ata 100-pci controller to make the HD work. That took up a slot. I also kept the old HD in it.

Pendragon, It came with two internal usbs. One has my scanner and one is empty now. One in front works and the empty one in back( IíM not sure, but I thought it did not work, donít know why).

I forgot to mention I added wireless router and that took a port slot.

Old 03-11-04, 10:32 AM
Re: So sorry, I forgot to mention I added wireless router and that took a port slot.

Originally posted by katiefran
Chris, When I bought the HD the tech at the store said I needed an ultra ata 100-pci controller to make the HD work. That took up a slot. I also kept the old HD in it.
You buy this from a CompUSA or Best Buy? Yeah, techs at a retail store level will tell you that sort of cucca just to make you buy something you don't really need...

Ok, here's the deal. Your computer PROBABLY runs on an ATA-66 system, and as you said, your new 120GB HDD is ATA-100. The tech told you you NEEDED a new add on card to make the new ATA-100 HDD work, right? WRONG. What he either meant to say was that you want (not NEED) the ATA-100 card to make the HDD work at peak speed. Bear in mind, though, that you're 366MHz system won't make be impacted by ATA-100 vs. ATA-66. The add-on card was a waste of money. You absolutely CAN hook up the new ATA-100 HDD to the ATA-66 system, and you do not NEED the add-on card.

Here's the best way to get what you want for the least amount of bling bling:

1. Take the add-on ATA-100 card OUT and hook up the new HDD to the same cable that the original HDD is on.

2. Return that add-on card to the store and get your money back.

3. Put your modem back into the slot that the add on ATA-100 card was in

You're ready to rock.

Chris

Old 03-11-04, 10:42 AM
R
USB hubs are very inexpensive and easily expand 2 USB ports to more. Just make sure that you buy a USB 2.0 hub if you have USB 2.0 ports on your PC.

Old 03-11-04, 10:47 AM
Please tell me how I can detect what type of USB I have.

USB hubs are very inexpensive and easily expand 2 USB ports to more. Just make sure that you buy a USB 2.0 hub if you have USB 2.0 ports on your PC.

Hi Bob, Please tell me how I can detect what type of USB I have. I don't know if they are 2.0 or not. I don't know what a hub is. Are they easy to install?? Thanks.

Old 03-11-04, 10:50 AM
Will I lose the info if I unplug the hd?

Hi World builder, Thanks for the reply. If I take out that slot and hd, will I lose the info on it. I already installed a lot and had to partition it. Will it keep all that.? Thanks

And yes it was either Best Buy or Micro Computer Center

Old 03-11-04, 11:01 AM
katiefran,

First of all, unless you have since ADDED any USB ports to your original computer, I can guarantee you that the native ones from your PC are NOT USB 2.0. Just for your info...

If you remove the add on card and HDD, then put the HDD back onto the primary IDE controller with the original HDD, you will lose NO data at all. Just make sure the new 120GB drive is the slave drive to the original HDD.

Chris

Old 03-11-04, 11:17 AM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
Hi Katie

A good cheap answer for you !!

http://66.216.68.88/

Go here he has a good serial external modem for less than 20$ A cable for 3$ and your in business!! Not even any configuring (hardware modem not winmodem) just plug the cable and the power supply in and go, your OS will find the modem and install automatically Jerry

Well scuse me even comes with serial cable, deduct 3$ LOL Last item in the modem list 56k/V90 External, and good people to deal with !!! Use them all the time

Old 03-11-04, 11:19 AM
R
Look on the USB card. It should tell you.

Also, dependiong on when you bought it it may be old, from before 2.0 came out.

A USB hub is a small device that plugs into an existing USB port.

Smaller ones are two port, larger ones are four or more ports. I have seen up to seven ports on some. USB ports may be self powered (they get their power from the USB port they plug into on your system) or self powered (they have their own plug in power adapter).

I would look for one that is at least four ports, USB 2.0 and self powered. Buy.com has a 4 port model for about $25, and a 7 port model for about $41.

They even make USB hubs that are internal to your PC, if you have a spare 3.5 inch or 5 inch drive bay.

Old 03-11-04, 01:27 PM
Talking I just love this site !!!!! Thank You everyone!!!World Builder U Did it!

Thank you everybody for all the advice and tips. WorldBuilder (Chris) you were exactly right and itís all working. I didnít fax yet but the phone line works so Iím sure it will be o.k. I so screwed it up a couple times by doing the flat cables wrong, backwards and probably tried every wrong way before I got it right. I was really afraid Iíd blow up the computer or really fry it, because of some of my stupid errors, but alas Itís all working. Thank you so much. Now I can close it up and be done.

I just love this site !!!!! World Builder you did it!!!

Old 03-11-04, 02:28 PM
It is a great site, eh? No sweat, katiefran. It's what we're here for. And please, call me Chris (that goes for everyone)!

Chris

Old 03-11-04, 09:49 PM
racraft :

Why self powered? If I ever needed extra USB ports (and wasn't now using a notebook), I'd most definately get a powered hub. I've had a 4 port (on board) machine before, run out of power with only 2 devices plugged in.

Old 03-12-04, 04:13 AM
B
what size HD shows on computer?

I'm curious about the hard drive. Unless the OS supports a 120gb drive, you will need the card to support that much memory. Isn't XP the only OS that will support that big of a hard drive?

Old 03-12-04, 05:25 AM
R
A self powered hub is not ideal for laptops. It kind of defeats the poratability issue.

Most self powered hubs will work either self powered or without their adapters, they simply pull the power they need through the USB connection.

This works fine if the computer can supply the power. If your USB devices have their own power supplies, then the amount of power needed by the hub is minimal. Printers, scanners, external hard drives, etc., all have their own power supplies.

If however, your USB devices need power via the USB connection, then you need to pay attention to how you use them, pehaps only connecting them when you actually need them, especially with a laptop. Small portable USB flash drives (the ones that fit in your pocket, or that you can wear around your neck on a chain) fall into this category.

Old 03-12-04, 06:24 AM
Re: what size HD shows on computer?

Originally posted by BobF
I'm curious about the hard drive. Unless the OS supports a 120gb drive, you will need the card to support that much memory. Isn't XP the only OS that will support that big of a hard drive?
Bob, no, all Windows versions (98 and up, I believe) will support up to 136GB. That might be the wrong number, but I know it's more than 120.

Chris

Old 03-13-04, 07:33 AM
Exclamation It does support 120 gig's plus, but somehow I lost 8.3 mgs.

Hi Thanks for the tips and yes it does support the 120 gig HD. My ops is win 98 1st edition. I just checked the computer to make sure it showed up. My original was a 3.2 but only 2.97 showed up. I donít know why. And my new one is divided into two HDs and one is 55.1 and one is 56.6.
Somehow I was shorted 8.3 mgs. The western digital instructions said something about that happening and I tried the suggestions they said to get the whole amount but it did not work. I would like to use it all but I will not worry if I canít. I certainly have much more room than before.
By the way I was also short the 8.3 mgs in the HD even with that ultra 100-pci card. It was short when I did not devide it and it was short when I did divide it. If anyone knows how I can get the missing 8.3 mgs, please let me know. Thanks all.
( Is a gig and a meg the same?)

Last edited by katiefran; 03-13-04 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-13-04, 08:48 AM
A drive will never yield it's stated capacity, it's always a few megs less.

For example, a DVD is suppose to hold 4.7 gb, but you can only get about 4.4 gb on it. The rest is used for formatting data, fat tables, etc.

PS, you should really upgrade to 98 SE, there were a lot of changes and fixes made.

Old 03-13-04, 08:58 AM
S
Just for simplicity sake:
1,000 bytes = 1kb
1,000,000 bytes = 1Mb
1,000,000,000 bytes = 1Gb

So:
1,000Kb = 1Mb
1,000,000Kb = 1Gb

So:
1,000Mb = 1Gb

And so on. I know these are not exact numbers - that's not important.

Old 03-13-04, 11:30 AM
They aren't exact numbers, and that IS important.

Those numbers are the reason consumers are confused, you and I know 1k is 1024 bytes, not 1000, but most consumers don't. So when the 120 gb drive they just bought doesn't come out with 120 gb, they don't understand why.

You'd think the manufacturers would want to deliver what it says on the box, so consumers don't feel like they didn't get what they paid for, but I guess someone in marketing said that wasn't a good idea, that it would be better to just put a fine tiny print disclaimer that the drive is rated as 1k = 1000 bytes, even though it's really not.

Old 03-13-04, 11:45 AM
C
Sometimes the disparity between size stated and size measured is a product of how the measure is made.

Kilo = 1000
Kilobyte = 1000 or specifically 1024 when counting binary space. 2 to the 10th power is 1024, not 1000. A gigabyte is 2^30 or 1,073,741,824. In base 10 where most of live a giga would be one billion, 10^9, or 1,000,000,000.

A 120 GB hard drive would be 120x2^30 or 128,849,018,880 bytes or 12x10^10 or 120,000,000,000 or 112X2^30 which is 120,259,084,288 or some other method of measuring plus the loss for overhead. Then the drive size is not always the same as its final measure once it is formatted.

I agree that it is not worth worrying about 8 megabytes out of a 120 gigbyte drive or .006% of the drive.

This is confusing enough.

Old 03-13-04, 09:43 PM
tae
from Western Digital:http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....cGFnZT0x&p_li=

120 GB Drive
Approx. Total Bytes:120,000,000,000
Decimal Capacity:120 GB
Approx. Binary Capacity:111.76 GB

So, your 111.7 is actually correct!

Decimal vs. Binary:
For simplicity and consistency, hard drive manufacturers define a megabyte as 1,000,000 bytes and a gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes. This is a decimal (base 10) measurement and is the industry standard. However, certain system BIOSs, FDISK and Windows define a megabyte as 1,048,576 bytes and a gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes. Mac systems also use these values. These are binary (base 2) measurements.
To Determine Decimal Capacity:
A decimal capacity is determined by dividing the total number of bytes, by the number of bytes per gigabyte (1,000,000,000 using base 10).
To Determine Binary Capacity:
A binary capacity is determined by dividing the total number of bytes, by the number of bytes per gigabyte (1,073,741,824 using base 2).
This is why different utilities will report different capacities for the same drive. The number of bytes is the same, but a different number of bytes is used to make a megabyte and a gigabyte. This is similar to the difference between 0 degrees Celsius and 32 degrees Fahrenheit. It is the same temperature, but will be reported differently depending on the scale you are using.

Old 03-14-04, 06:15 PM
S
Sorry, I should have clarified - my post was in response to this:
( Is a gig and a meg the same?)
Which is why I said "for simplicity sake"?

Yes, in reference to the entire thread (and, ultimately, the question of drive space), it is important.

Old 03-15-04, 01:37 PM
You know what you should do? You should just buy a new motherboard. The new ones usually have 4 to 5 slots. And those are the good ones not the crappy kinds. I would go with a Intel motherboard with a 2GZ or faster processor with at least 512MB of memmory. I say this to averybody who has an old computer. Time to upgrade.

Old 03-15-04, 01:49 PM
I agree with that advice, especially since computers are dirt cheap these days. However, since katiefan didn't ask for our opinions (other than regarding how to fix her specific problem), I didn't suggest it. katiefan, you might want to cinsider buying a new one...

Chris

PS. On a lighter note, I wonder if it's possible for us to get more off-topic than we already have! LOL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: