512 RAM
AGP nVidia 128 MB Video
USB 2 PCI card
Creative 5.1 PCI Card
4 Fans all around case
Computer case has temp monitor.
1.4 GhZ AMD Athlon
430 W Power supply

My comptuer randomly just restarts at anytime. When Im using it or not, it just restarts. I usually leave it on at night and in the morning, it restarts usually when I go to turn the monitor on. Then when I use it, it just randomly restarts. Like if im surgin the web, or anything.

Old 03-11-04, 09:43 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok. Have you checked the logs to see what error is happening?

It could be alot of things.

Heat is one. What are your temps? Have you cleaned the heatsink/fan on the cpu?

Memory is another thing. try pulling a stick and see. Then switch.

Video drivers are another possibility. Make sure they are updated.

Maybe software problems, like with an antivirus like norton systemworks.(known for problems)

possibly the power supply, but i doubt it.

possibly the wall plug or power strip fluctuation.

Maybe needs a bios update.

let us know about the logs.

Old 03-12-04, 05:31 AM
R
There is a virus out there that can cause this. Do you run a good antivirus program, that is updated on a regular basis, and have you scanned your system for viruses?

Old 03-12-04, 07:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd bet my money on a heat issue... Especially with an Athlon. Do you run SETI or some other program like that: Folding@home, etc? Check the basics first, though: virii, etc like the other guys suggested. But also, let us know the internal CPU temperature.

Chris

Old 03-12-04, 12:09 PM
Q
HI!!!
The main temp monitor which is positioned near the hdd and the processor reads: 77.5 F.

Old 03-12-04, 12:17 PM
Does the BIOS show you specific CPU temp?

Old 03-12-04, 12:38 PM
Q
HI!!!
The BIOS read 66 the last time I restarted. On the front of my CPU case, it reads 77.3 F now. Is that high?

Also, this morning I turned on my monitor (Cause i turn it off at night) and I got a blue screen. I didn't get them before because I had Windows just automatically reboot. I took a picture of it.

Here is the picture

I did all the updates from Microsoft already.

Old 03-12-04, 01:05 PM
I've found a couple of possibilities, and my first question to you is: Did you, in fact check for virii and spyware? Secondly, is this a DELL computer?

Chris

Old 03-12-04, 02:09 PM
Q
HI!!!
Ive downloaded as many spy ware killers as possible...trust me Ive ran them overnight, and haven't found anything! Next, it is not a dell computer.

I have a USB 2.0 Card from Buslink. I have a USB 2.0 Drive, a USB 2.0 apapter to ethernet, printer, cell phone connector, and a printer attached to it.

Also, I just opened my computer and blew EVERY SINGLE spec of dust from everything inside. Used a vaccumm and a can of compressed air. There wasn't a lot of dust, but I can gurantee you now that it's clean. It isn't a heat issue, because I have a temp monitoring system on the cpu case which flashes when it gets very hot. There are three temp sensors. One near the prosessor, power supple, and hard drive. None are flashing right now, and haven't been doing so.

Sometimes instead of that error message in the picture above, I just get this message:
Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows SubSystem system process was terminated unexpectdly with a status of 0x [it runs off the screen here but then continues on the next line with...]
c0000005 (0x0113e049 0x0113dcf4)
The system has been shutdown.

The two error screen take turns I guess.

also, thanks for the quick replys. I appreciate it!

Last edited by quantex; 03-12-04 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-12-04, 03:21 PM
tae
Old 03-12-04, 05:43 PM
This might work. Try that, if it doesn't help, I'd check on the RAM next.

Chris

Old 03-12-04, 11:16 PM
Q
HI!!!
I have that Windows Update for the USB. Also, Microsoft's webpage did not have a solution to my problem .

Old 03-13-04, 04:01 AM
Ok, I'd check on the RAM next. Check and see how many sticks of RAM there are. If there are two, pull one, leaving the other. Run the machine for a while and see if your problem is solved. If it still happens, repeat the process with the OTHER RAM stick. Let us know!

Chris

Old 03-13-04, 05:23 AM
T
When removing RAM; don't forget to leave the stick in the lowest numbered slot. Else, you will get RAM errors out the Kazoo!

Old 03-13-04, 06:43 AM
Q
HI!!!
Right now I only have a 512 MB stick in there.

Old 03-13-04, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by quantex
Right now I only have a 512 MB stick in there.
Crud... Ok, well you could call around to some local PC shops to see if any of them have RAM testers there and could check it out for you. I suspect (although am not certain) that RAM is the culprit, but it's tough to test with only one stick. If you're so inclined, you could also just go out an buy a replacement stick, removing what you have now. Test it out, and see what happens. The only problem with that, of course, is that it costs you money whether it works or not.

Chris

Old 03-13-04, 06:33 PM
Q
HI!!!
Before I do the RAM thing, when I have to restart and scan disk comes up, I let it do it. However when it begind it tells me that "an unspecified error has occurred" . I was thinking of formatting the hdd.

Old 03-13-04, 09:20 PM
tae
You could do that. Format and do a clean install. Install just the basic hardware needed to run it, and minimal software. Let it run for a few days. If you don't have any more problems, start to add in the other hardware and then start adding in whatever programs you want. If you do have problems, then you can reasonably assume it's a hardware problem. Let us know!

Old 03-14-04, 04:38 AM
I was under the impression that you did not want to format, though. My bad. I just reread the whole thread and you never said that, so yeah, go ahead and try that. Just try to backup anything important. Like tae says, install ONLY the basics and run it for a few days. Then, add ONE thing at a time to try to determine what the cause is. Let us know!

Chris

Old 03-14-04, 07:00 PM
Q
HI!!!
My computer loves errors and the blue screens. It gives me them in the worst possible places. When I am installing windows, and am at the "Windows is installing" screen, randomly at any point I get a blue screen of death error message. It mentions "CDFS_File_SYSTEM" on the top. I tried to restart setup and it goes on for a little while and then does the same thing!!! What's wrong. I keep my WIN XP cd in its original case!

Old 03-14-04, 07:07 PM
If it's giving you errors while installing Windows, it's most likely NOT a Windows problem. Gotta be hardware... Check on the RAM somehow using one or more of the methods mentioned above by myself and others. Let us know.

Chris

Old 03-14-04, 08:03 PM
S
It could also be a harddrive problem. You may need to get the manufacturer's utility and run a thorough check of the drive. Formatting won't cure harddrive errors.

Good luck!

Old 03-14-04, 08:18 PM
Q
HI!!!
Could it be the cd? It does mention "CDFS_File_System" in the error code. Hmm...

Im gonna run the utility from Maxtor in a couple of minutes.

Theres an error when I had windows on the system where it would randolmy shut off, now theres an error when I try to start it. I hope it's just some faulty hardware then like ram or the hdd, but not both.

help...
thanks for the quick replies..really appreciate it!

Old 03-14-04, 10:32 PM
tae
Since you were having errors/problems before using the cdr, i would say no, it's not the cdr or the cd. Also, since you had problems during the install, i would say it's the memory. You can do a thorough checkdisk or scandisk and run your hard drive utility to check out the drive. If it's ok, look to the memory.

Old 03-15-04, 07:06 AM
I concur. Since checking the HDD is easier than RAM (in your case), do that first. If the HDD tests ok, RAM is almost certainly the culprit. Go to a store, buy more RAM (just start with something cheap) and try to install. Let us know.

Chris

Old 03-15-04, 12:51 PM
Q
HI!!!
You guys are right I think. I downloaded a program called memtest, and ran it. When it was done about 60 % of the testing, I got billions of errors. Im not sure how to read this thing but under the heading of errors, the last time i checked it - it was around 4,302,645 and its going and going. Whatd o you guys thing, its there another program I can use?

[[Im thinking of now upgrading the mobo even though theres nothing wrong with it. My old mobo has only two PCI slots and Im kind of tired of it. I have some money to spend, so Im thinking of getting a new one, probably Intel.]]

Old 03-15-04, 01:34 PM
There are some really good intel boards out there that have 4 to 5 slots. And go with a faster processor like a 2GZ or 3 to 3.6GZ. If you need to buy new memmory, make sure you know what kind of memmory the new board uses. Most likely will be DDR, And get yourself at least 1 512MB chip. Another thing to make sure of is that your power supply is at least a 350 watt.

Old 03-15-04, 01:53 PM
For a friend, I recently put together a brand new 2.4GHz P4, with all the trimmings (light on the multimedia capabilities, though) and an 80GB HDD, 512MB RAM, and CDRW for less than $550 including shipping. Damn, I love this business in 2004. CHEAP! I buy almost exclusively from a certain website, and they have a large selection, quick shipping, and are generally a pleasure to deal with. I'll post their URL if you like.

Chris

Old 03-15-04, 01:55 PM
If, however you don't want to build an entirely new machine, definitely go get some new RAM (it's cheap), and I'll bet that all your ills will magically go away! Gotta be the RAM...

Chris

Old 03-15-04, 07:15 PM
Q
HI!!!
I don't want to rebuild my whole system, but I want to replace the motherboard and switch over to intel now. I purchased this board.

Now Im looking to purchase a processor near 1.6 - 1.8 ghz. I purchased new ram for the board already, the Kingston HyperX 512 184 PIN DDRAM. Used the fastest shipping methons cause I need the comptuer to work and I have no patience. What I like is the amount of PCI ports, RAM Size, AGP, and USB 2. Its a nice board for a low cost which was exactly what I was looking for.

I hope this works!!!

Old 03-15-04, 07:20 PM
Good. I hope it works out. Let us know if you need any extra help.

Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: