no boot

Old 03-13-04, 06:14 PM
john 3:16
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy no boot

hello everyone,
hope this night finds everyone doing fine. i have a quick question. never had this problem before. my mother in law called with computer problems. it is a gateway that i built for her about 6 months ago. anyway, she said it eould not do nothing. so, i turned it on, and it would not boot up, a blue screen popped up, but can't remember what it said now. but, anyway, i could see that the hard drive was locked up. it was spinning, but it was like it was only spinning in one spot, no further. so, after further testing on my home pc, it was obvious the hard drive was gone. so, i went and bought a new 40 gig seagate and got it all formatted and ready to go, installed 2000 on it, and stuck it back in hers. now, when it boots up, you see the windows is starting sign, and before it goes anyfurther, a blue screen pops up, and says stop error, and says, inaccessible boot drive. is the board gone out? or maybe the master controller plug. like i said, never seen this one before. by the way, the hard drive works fine on my pc. someone please give me a hand here. thanks in advance for any help regarding this matter. have a good night. DALE

Old 03-13-04, 07:36 PM
tae
did you format this and install windows on it in your computer? Was it the master or secondary? It is telling you that the boot path is wrong. make sure all settings are correct on the drive as well as the bios, and it is connected properly from the cable. Make sure it is master in bios, master on the drive, and at the end of the ide cable. if the problem stays, just boot windows 2000 from the disk and run the repair option.

Old 03-14-04, 09:39 AM
C
What tae says, but look also for some component that fails with time and heat. If it boots to the splash screen in your scenario, I would look for failed processor fan or power supply fan. Something is quitting after the splash screen seems to be other than the drive itself as the primary cause.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-15-04, 07:41 PM
john 3:16
hello,
thanks for the reply. seems that the problem was, somehow the write protect got enabled in the bios, and in turn, it kept coming up as inaccessible boot drive. well, yeah, that makes good sense. so, anyway i have the problem fixed, and she is up and running about 90mph. thanks again DALE

Old 03-16-04, 05:41 AM
C
write protect got enabled in the bios
Glad you found that. I would have been searching for a while.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: