XP & faxing from modem

Old 03-17-04, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
XP & faxing from modem

This may not be a problem, but since I don't have a true landline I need some ideas.

I have internet connection through my cable modem/ethernet card. My telephone service is through an TA which is between the cable modem and my ethernet card. There is a second phone port on the TA which I can use for a fax machine.

I have tried hooking my fax modem up to the second port, even the first port, but can't seem to set up faxing ability this way.

It claims there is no dial tone. I may have to call tech for the TA on this one. My reasoning may be wrong, but the modem should 'pick up the phone' to make the call just as though I've picked up the handset on the telephone.

I'm running XP and have never tried to do anything like this before since I never had a fax/modem until now. I am willing to purchase a fax machine, but wonder if that's necessary since I have the fax modem, cable phone, scanner and printer all hooked to the same computer.

Any ideas?

Kay

Old 03-17-04, 09:23 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most of the time, analog machines won't work over a digital line, like Cable or DSL. Now, this fax port may have some special filter to make it work or a converter or something, but I would talk to TS about it to make sure. I've had this question come up with Security Systems quite frequently (not using a system with a DSL line, but rather over the DSL or Cable line.) All the FAQ's say it can't happen.

Now, as for a solution, try AnyFax2Anywhere.Com. I've used them for about 6 months or more. It's a pain to scan and then fax, but it sounds like that's what you want to do anyway. The really nice thing about A2A is that you can't print directly from any program in Windows (the program installs an "InternetFax" driver in your Printers.) From memory, it's only $.10 per minute or something like that - no long distance. It used to be a little cheaper, but the rates fluctuate some.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-04, 08:59 PM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
Did You

Use the filter between the modem and the telephone connection! If not a no dial tone situation is likely! ( same filter that you use on you phones)

Old 03-18-04, 11:17 PM
Do you mean like those phone filters you use when you have dsl?

Kay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: